1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- Ames, Iowa

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SCEditor, Aug 14, 2009.

1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1086135

Company: The Tribune
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: September 18, 2009
    Job ID: 1086135

Description:
    The Tribune in Ames, Iowa, has an opening for a sports editor. This is a great job for the right person. We cover preps with a passion and also have a Big 12 school, Iowa State, right in our back yard. Our sports editor runs the department and also covers a beat.

Successful candidates will: Understand and appreciate our place in the community; be able to motivate a small staff to maximum efficiency; be skilled in reporting, writing and editing; know how to integrate print and digital products; understand and use social media and real-time reporting to enhance the sports report and build relationships with readers

Prerequisites: • Four-year degree in journalism or equivalent professional experience • Five years professional sports writing and/or editing experience in a fast-paced daily news environment • Proven supervisory experience • Willingness to work nights, weekends and split shifts as necessary

The Tribune is a 6-day daily (four afternoons, two mornings) in a college town 30 minutes north of Des Moines.

Please send a cover letter, resume, no more than five clips, and references to Alexandra Hayne at The Tribune, 317 Fifth Street, Ames, IA 50010 or ahayne@amestrib.com. No phone calls, please.

2. Public School

Public School New Member

Hmmm...sounds like an interesting job. Anybody got any info on this one?

3. Putt4dough

Putt4dough New Member

I'm wondering what happened to University of Illinois graduate and former Daily Illini sports editor Courtney Linehan? This was her job. Anybody in the pipeline know the answer?

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I'll give this job some high praise.

Great newspaper, and the people at Iowa State are very good to deal with. Courtney covered ISU men's basketball, so that would be a pretty good beat to go along with running the department. It's a great staff, as well.

Ames is a typical college town. Des Moines is close by.

It's a quality position.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Yeah, can someone share? As of Aug. 13 she was still listed as sports editor. Did she get bumped up to the World-Herald in Omaha (World-Herald owns Ames Trib, BTW)?

6. She is the new SE at the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Nice career move, Courtney!!

Good luck to whoever gets this. I love Iowa. If I were just starting out I'd look into this myself.

8. esport12

esport12 Member

Congrats to Courtney. And I had no idea that SE job in Lubbock still hadn't been filled.

Didn't they just have a sports reporter opening here?

9. thebigd

thebigd Member

Anybody know whether there is a lot of desk work in adition to reporting and being a supervisor?

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Any updated on this one? I was excited about this possibility.

11. phone interviews with the first round started in the last week or so

12. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Can anybody provide an update on this job? I don't know how I missed it, but I didn't notice it until drakes put out the update above. Dangit! I might have gone for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted