1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Ames (Iowa) Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mighty_Wingman, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Must be able to give out their digits to NBA prospects...

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

A legend that will never die. As much as I wish it would. :)

3. $35,000 to $40,000 sounds very good for a 12,000 circulation paper.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm pretty sure this paper is a PM, and it competes directly with Des Moines for Iowa State news. Disadvantage right there, and taking one day a week off doesn't help, either.

However, I don't think this paper does a bad job at all. The ISU beat writer is solid, and they do cover the hell out of high schools and the Cyclones. I think this can be a pretty good gig if you can handle the shitty, shitty Iowa winters.

5. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

The east-coast morons who populate this board and ejaculate every time there's an opening in Virginia/DC would laugh at this or anything west of the Mississippi, but don't if you're a newbie wanting to get your feet wet. One of their people was a finalist for an opening I had a few years ago and they're now working at a 200,000-plus circ paper. It's a good place to get started and do some damn good work, which they did.

Nice photo of the sausages, Shag.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Where is Scott Nulph going?

7. rolling

rolling Member

He wrote in his final column that he's leaving to take over as managing editor at his hometown paper, wherever that is.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Randall Simon is my brother from a different mother.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good to see you noticed the sausages, dickweed.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Nulph's a North Dakota dude. Good for 'im, and good on 'im.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Back to Wahpeton. I believe the local high school was once known as the Wops. Still might be.

12. bbtimes

bbtimes New Member

Yeah, John Akers used to work there – that's me. Someone's got a great memory. That was more than 20 years ago. I nearly forgot about it myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted