1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Abilene Reporter-News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by thegrifter, Oct 20, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

is that current management or past management?

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

and what about scripps as a company. i'm looking at a news side job at another scripps paper.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

in the upper 50 percent as far as NP companies are concerned.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Though there have been plenty of layoffs through not filling positions at their Texas newspapers, granted, that's pretty much everywhere.

Oh, and the current upper management doesn't seem to comprehend how to cover sports, especially in a crazy market like that.

Abilene would not be the worst place to work. It's a good family town, has good sports and three colleges, I just think you have to know what you are getting into -- and that's a lot of work without a tremendous amount of support from above.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and still the prettiest town you'll ever see ... my sweet abilene.

6. spud

spud Member

Pay's pretty good for a paper like that in the middle of nowhere as I recall... mostly considering the cost of living out there in the sticks.

I don't know what the SE gets, but its obviously more than the sports writers and I definitely recall being pretty impressed by their salary all things considered.

7. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I guess there's a price for everyone's soul. Considering the type of hours you'll be expected to work, the salary probably isn't all that great.

But hey, that's the nature of the business.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

wanna give us a hint on what that was?

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I would guess the SE would make around 35k.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I would hope it's more than that. I've heard some of the staff writers are getting almost that much.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's what I heard as well, but changed my post based on a PM I received.

Edit: The sender of said PM does not work at this paper, so take it for what it's worth.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Here is some more information I just received:

Draft saved Draft deleted