1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor — Quincy Herald-Whig

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Schuck, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Schuck

Schuck New Member

The Herald-Whig is looking for an experienced journalist to oversee the sports department’s goal of providing top-level coverage of the area’s prep and college programs on all digital and print platforms. The sports editor oversees an award-winning three-person staff that recently won two national awards from the Associated Press Sports Editors Association. The Herald-Whig provides blanket coverage of 26 high schools, four colleges, two Prospect League teams and community events. The ideal candidate will be able to build a sports section that engages the reader and guide a staff hungry to tell the stories that make this sports savvy area unique. Do you know how to develop stories that go beyond the game? Then we want to talk to you. The Herald-Whig is a seven-day newspaper that is part of a growing, family-owned-and-operated company dedicated to the communities it serves. Quincy is a beautiful, affordable community of 40,000 on the banks of the Mississippi River in West-Central Illinois. Our coverage area consists of West-Central Illinois and Northeast Missouri. Quincy is a two-hour drive from Peoria and Springfield in Illinois, St. Louis and Columbia in Missouri, and Iowa City, Iowa. The Herald-Whig offers a comprehensive employee benefits package with everything you expect and more. The Herald-Whig is an equal opportunity employer. If you think you have what it takes to be our next sports editor, please send a resume, samples of your work and a letter outlining how you would approach the job to: Nicole Stevens/Administration, The Quincy Herald-Whig, P.O. Box 909, Quincy, IL 62306, or by email to www.whig.com and about Quincy Media Inc., our parent company, at www.quincymediacareers.com.

2. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Stay away, far away. They enjoy dangling the carrot and misleading people. Plus, design is a large component to the job, which is conveniently omitted from the ad!

3. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Also I think there is a winner as of yesterday per Twitter.

4. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Yes, a former assistant SE. Must’ve reeled him in below the 46K advertised salary.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

46K? No way.

Still a half-way decent section, but like many others it's obviously not what it used to be. Still pretty good preps coverage, though.

I Should Coco and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  6. avtkrmn

avtkrmn Member

Quincy is not bad. I used to work in Hannibal (way worse) and we used to cross cover a lot of sports. Plus, I HEARD quincy just bought the hannibal paper.

Liut likes this.
  7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If the original poster is who I think it is on that staff, he's an awesome one to have on your side.

Liut likes this.
  8. avtkrmn

avtkrmn Member

Schuck is a great guy. I know him well.

Liut and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

New SE is Thorn Compton. Most recently an assistant sports editor in Marshalltown, Iowa.

10. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Great place to live!

Draft saved Draft deleted