1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor — Grants Pass (Ore.) Daily Courier

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Roamer, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Roamer

Roamer New Member

This listing doesn't tell you much about the job, except the pay.
    There are actually two sports openings right now, an editor and a reporter. I'm the outgoing sports editor.
    In addition to seven high schools, Grants Pass Downs is the only commercial horse racing facility in the state. The paper also covers boat racing and Grants Pass typically hosts the state BMX championships.
    This paper is hyper-local, though the readership is closer to retirement age, so daily MLB boxes still run.

Message me and I'll answer any questions.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Editor

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I got some supplies there on the way to Crater Lake in June and stopped by a Taco Bell for a quick bite.

How far does 34K go there? I want to say Taco Bell was advertising job openings with a $16 minimum wage, which by my math puts you in the ballpark of this position.

Looks like a beautiful area to live in, though, and being that close to Crater Lake is a big plus in my book.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Not to be morbid, but that paper has had some really bad luck in recent years on its sports staff.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sonuvabitch! I think he just told us to EAD.

RIP, tom petty

5. Roamer

Roamer New Member

Rent is about $1,200-$1,300 for a two-bedroom apartment … if you can find one to rent. Last check, there were fewer than five units available in town. Gas is above $3.50.

SFIND likes this.
  6. Editude

Editude Active Member

Grew up in the Rogue Valley -- nice (somewhat isolated) setting, very livable weather, just enough commerce, lots of outdoorsy options. Gotten crazy expensive in the last 10-15 years, and this pay banks on living on the scenery. Main high school in G Pass is the Cavemen.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hell, this pay banks on living in the scenery — in a van down by the river.

Draft saved Draft deleted