1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor — Forum Communications

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Sep 5, 2018.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Forum Communications is seeking a sports editor to coordinate and lead strategic efforts to grow and optimize our digital sports audience in the company’s footprint.

The sports editor will direct our sports projects and initiatives, with a special emphasis on hockey, and coordinate high school tournament coverage in Minnesota and North Dakota.

Qualified candidates must have strong organizational, time management and people skills. The sports editor will supervise a college hockey reporter in Minnesota, recruit and assign freelancers to complement coverage at our various newspapers, and be responsible for leading efforts for relevant, audience-engaging sports reporting through various digital formats. In addition, this person will work in tandem with sports editors at our individual newspapers and the FCC director of content to provide comprehensive coverage to readers’ favorite teams.

A family owned company, Forum Communications is making a major investment in journalists to deliver content to audiences in its 30-plus media websites across four states. Additionally, the company’s Forum News Service provides content to more than 100 newspapers.

The ideal candidate will develop, nurture and maintain a network of freelancers to deliver stories focusing on high school and college sports.

A collaborative and audience-first mindset is essential, with a command of digital formats and engagement, to champion these efforts.

In addition to a competitive salary, Forum Communications offers benefits including health, dental and vision insurance, 401K and paid time off.

Qualified candidates must have a bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years experience in a professional newsroom, command of digital and social media platforms, proven multimedia skills and knowledge, ability to think strategically and superior editing skills in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.

A valid driver's license with a record insurable by the company is required.

Please note that location within our company's footprint is flexible for the right candidate.

To apply, click here or send send a resume, cover letter and work samples by Tuesday, Sept. 18, to FCC Director of Content Steve Wagner via email at swagner@forumcomm.com.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/job-listing/1647655

2. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Anyone have any insight on this?

3. Pcotton

Pcotton New Member

I left this company about a year ago to move to the East Coast. I worked across the state as a sports editor at a smaller paper in the company. By the time I left, there had been at least two rounds of buyouts/layoffs, so there’s that. However, I hear that this is a created position and not one to replace somebody.

I imagine it’s based in Fargo, which is a legitimate cool city and maybe 2.5 hours from Minneapolis. The design center is based in Fargo, as well, completing pages for all Forum properties. Last I heard, the page design staff was overworked and underpaid, so navigating that crew will be essential.

Having lived in the state, it’s an exciting to have NDSU football and UND hockey both being so good at the same time. Being situated on the ND-Minnesota border, Forum covers high school and college sports equally well in both states and generally wins several awards for doing so. The person who ends up here will work with some brilliant photographers, as well. Further, I can vouch for Steve Wagner. Though I never worked for him directly, he was a valuable resource for me despite being across the state, and he was always friendly when we spoke at Forum gatherings.

Finally, my last winter there, it snowed a ton and remained near -20 degrees before windchill for several weeks in a row. Maybe that goes without saying, but it’s something to be aware of. I’m happy to provide any other insight if people have questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted