1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor — The Natchez Democrat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by natchezdemocrat, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

A key for smaller papers is to go out to various schools, that you are covering anyway, and float out the possibility that some students could get a byline and/or small paycheck through stringer work.
    Circulate the word through English depts. or journalism/multimedia class teachers that you are looking for help.
    Folks usually make themselves available if you give a chance.
    When you meet with the kids, act as though you are in charge and won't settle for slacker work.
    Even though you may be just a few years older than these youngsters, give them the impression that you want quality if they are going to appear in your newspaper.
    Developing adult stringers is good, too. At first they may need editing but eventually they start turning in good copy.
    A lot of the work that's done be writers at smaller newspapers could be done by third parties with the right organization.

2. natchezdemocrat

natchezdemocrat New Member

To Albert and BamaDog —

We certainly apologize for any troubles you may have had getting returned stories from us. I was unaware this was happening, and we understand the value of sharing stories in a small market. Thanks for your help.
    If you ever encounter such problem here again, please don't hesitate to give me a call. We'll get it corrected.

To the others inquiring about an update — I have an opening in the news department as well (our sports editor who left was married to one of our news folks) and have opted to focus on that one first. We have a capable sports reporter and two part-time employees handling things now.

I do expect to get back with those of you who have applied soon.

Thanks for your interest.

Julie Cooper
    Managing editor

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

This one is done. Michael Kerekes has been promoted to the top spot.

4. natchezdemocrat

natchezdemocrat New Member

All,

We have promoted our sports reporter, Michael Kerekes, to sports editor.

Michael has done an awesome job running the section with minimal help for a month, and we are all excited about great things to come in the section once the department is full again.

We are now looking for a sports reporter, so anyone interested in that position is encouraged to send clips and a resume.
    Obviously Michael is evidence that the sports reporter job here can quickly lead to a sports editor job.

Thanks
    Julie
    julie.cooper@natchezdemocrat.com

Draft saved Draft deleted