1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor – Oldham County, Ky.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 2010pgd, Jan 30, 2015.

1. 2010pgd

2010pgd New Member

I'm leaving this position for a job at a daily newspaper. I've been sports editor at The Era since fall of 2013. It's a great chance for recent grads to mold a sports section to your liking.

You're a one-man band when it comes to most coverage and design responsibilities, but the editor is a former sportswriter who's helped me a number of times when we've needed to be two places at once. The Era is owned by Landmark, which operates just about every other paper in Region 8, where the Oldham schools compete. That means there are a a group of publications here that share sports content when our teams are on the road.

The three schools are highly competitive. During my 18 months here:
    –North Oldham has won two state championships in 2-A XC (five straight overall) and one in 2-A girls track. Football team fell in the 2014 4-A semifinals on a Hail Mary. Boys golf, volleyball, girls XC, boys soccer, boys track, wrestling and swimming have all competed at the state level. Girls swimming and track individual competitors have won state titles also.
    –Oldham County competed in the semifinals of the 2013 girls soccer tournament. Boys basketball is the current frontrunner for the region title. Volleyball, wrestling, track, XC have all competed on the state level. Softball program is also strong.
    –South Oldham won state championships this fall in 3-A boys XC (program's fourth) and girls soccer (record seventh overall). Boys soccer made it to the state semis. South boys basketball is two-time defending region champ. Football, tennis, track, swimming are pretty strong.

You'll also get to follow some area natives, including Ohio State kicker Sean Nuernberger (an OC grad) and up-and-coming PGA golfer Justin Thomas (a Goshen native). The Little League program made it to Williamsport a few years ago, so you'll have them for summer content. I've covered the Ky Oaks and Derby and the NASCAR races at Ky Speedway, which is 30 miles up I-71. I've also obtained credentials for UK and U of L football and basketball games, though that's on my own time.

I've lived in La Grange near our office. But if you want to live in the East End of Louisville and commute, that's only a 20-minute drive. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Description: The Oldham Era, a 4,500-circulation newspaper in Oldham County, KY, is seeking a full-time sports editor to cover some of the best local athletes and teams in Kentucky. Oldham County is home to three high schools – Oldham County, South Oldham, and North Oldham. All three high schools play tough competition and feature a variety of teams that advance on a regular basis to state finals. Qualifications • Must possess a bachelor’s degree in journalism and have a firm knowledge of AP style • Must also be proficient in the use of Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, to design The Era’s sports section on a weekly basis • Have experience scheduling stringers • Experience and drive to use social media • Possess flair to drive new ideas for local sports coverage • Ability to work independently with superior results • Must have valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle Essential Functions • Working with The Oldham Era’s editor, create new ways to increase sports coverage and deliver the best sports coverage in the state of Kentucky • Deliver daily news to The Oldham Era’s website while developing no less than three to four pages of content for the printed version • Write crisp, accurate and compelling stories, headlines and photo captions • Write a mixture of game stories and feature stories for the sports pages • Develop relationships with area coaches to facilitate the flow of information to the newspaper • Shoot clear and compelling photos • Design the sports section using InDesign • Meet established deadlines of the newspaper • Be available for night and weekend games coverage The position of sports editor is an exempt salaried position. If you have the drive to build a sports department that is second to none while creating a positive, integrity-driven identity in the community, The Oldham Era is a prime opportunity. Residency in the coverage area is preferred. Interested persons should send resume and clips to: Kenny Colston, Editor The Oldham Era editor@oldhamera.com

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Filled.

https://twitter.com/TheElliottPratt

"Excited to stay in Kentucky, working as the sports editor of The Oldham Era in La Grange, starting Mar. 2, covering Oldham County HS sports."

Draft saved Draft deleted