1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Director at Indianapolis Star

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Sep 17, 2012.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Gannett is a media and marketing solutions company with a diverse portfolio of broadcast, digital, mobile and publishing companies that provides consumers easy access to the things that matter most to them – any way and anywhere. Gannett operates 23 broadcast stations and 85 daily newspapers and their associated web sites, including The Indianapolis Star and USA TODAY, plus nearly 1,000 non-daily publications and USA WEEKEND.

The Indianapolis Star is seeking an accomplished, creative Sports Director to supervise coverage of professional sports, colleges, high schools and amateur athletics in one of the country’s top sports markets.

Indy is a sports-driven town – home to the Colts, the Indiana Pacers, the NCAA’s national headquarters and numerous big sports events, including The Indianapolis 500, NCAA basketball tournament games and amateur sports.

This editor must set high standards of quality and put a premium on exclusive, creative enterprise, urgency in news coverage, can’t-miss digital content and planning. The director needs a collaborative approach in working with other senior editors and key employees in other divisions of StarMedia.

The sports director must be able to challenge editors and reporters to put readers first and aim for platform-perfect approaches in coverage — publishing the right content at the right times on the right platforms.

Key responsibilities

Focus team on delivering unique, local, compelling content.
    Produce distinctive enterprise and break exclusive news ahead of competitors.
    Maintain a strong commitment to great storytelling; ensure an insider approach to coverage of pro and college teams.
    Work with the digital and visual editors to provide rich, visually appealing packages across all platforms.
    Develop robust, must-read content in digital platforms, including breaking news.
    Edit stories as needed for quality; review important or controversial content; flag matters of taste and ethical questions.
    Plan coverage of big events (example: Colts season, Pacers season, NCAA tourney) well in advance.
    Work across the newsroom to ensure communication and quality.

Job Requirements

A minimum of 10 years of experience.
    Demonstrated professional skills such as teamwork, customer service, initiative and leadership.
    Exceptional time and project management skills.
    Excellent oral and written communication skills.
    The ability to work a flexible schedule and be able to work under pressure of deadlines.
    A self-starter willing to share knowledge.
    College degree required.

The Indianapolis Star, owned by Gannett, is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting a diverse, drug-free work environment. The employment process consists of a company-paid background check and drug screen. We offer competitive compensation, which includes benefits and a 401k.

https://performancemanager4.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=Gannett&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=8701&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=%2bdsjZwm37dWtFUGVxllU4iGllA4%3d

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

What happened to Jim Lefko?

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

I heard that the Star's new editor is intent on making a change and is looking at both internal and external candidates.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I just wonder what changes can be made. I love the Indy Star... it's actually one of Gannett's better papers IMHO (and full disclosure, I don't know anybody at the paper, just my critique)...

That said, a city the size of Indy, with a metro population over a million, does not merit a small paper like the Star. Not counting Sunday, the biggest paper is probably Thursday (it comes with the local sections) and it's only around 50-60 pages. That's embarrassing for a city that size. And the sports section is six pages at best on some days, eight on others? For as much content as Indy sports offers, those sections should be bigger.

I think Indy still does the special section well, but I'd love to know whose decision it was to reduce Colts Weekend to a four-page wraparound. Yes, I know this isn't Manning's team anymore and it's not a winner, but Colts Weekend was one of the paper's more appealing sections.

5. Fran Curci

They ever make a decision on this job?

6. ColeClaybourn

ColeClaybourn New Member

Not yet. Was told from someone there that decisions on this could take months, and that was just a few weeks ago. Wonder if this will open up a reporting job if they hire internally.

7. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

I know a couple people there. I'd be shocked if they make an $80K or above hire when the two internals who wanted the job still are there and, I suppose, still making daily decisions.
    New guy botched this from the beginning. His reapply for gigs charade started in June, July, something like that.
    They never hired a Colts ASE, either. And now every design job is headed to Louisville's hub.
    Like most places, more questions than answers.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Word is that, after some delays, interviews are ongoing. One of the internal candidates, who is strong, has been told that the hire is almost certainly coming from the outside.

9. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Both internals were told that 3 months ago, after they did the reapply thing, which is why this process is so ridiculous. Not fair to either.
    If outside interviews are happening, great for them.
    They flew in at least one candidate for the Colts gig, too, and that went nowhere.
    Call me skeptical. Just seems like an odd/expensive spot to add/create, given the staffing.

10. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

A former 1HPer has interviewed. He's an external candidate but could have walked to the interview.

11. Fran Curci

If the Colts keep winning, the timing of the vacancy gets worse and worse ........

12. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Couple of Indy peeps are expecting an announcement soon. Judging by some tweets I saw from the local external candidate, sure seems like it's heading in that direction.

Draft saved Draft deleted