1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports/Desk Editor, Vallejo, Ca.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 12, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Had a great-aunt who worked at Vallejo for decades pre-Singleton. She gave me my first newsroom tour as a kid - I didn't even know then that newspapers was what I wanted to do - but when I started writing, she'd send some of my clips to former longtime SE Dave Beronio (she used to send me copies of his sketches of Bay Area sports legends) - Dave sent me a note complementing me on my writing. Needless to say, I've kept that note, and also needless to say - that's not what you are getting at the Vallejo Times-Herald these days. Vallejo isn't a bad place - you're about 30 miles from SF, 55 miles from Sacramento.

2. I drove through Vallejo some years back and had one of those ``You couldn't pay me to live here'' reactions. Just one man's opinion.

3. The Lions do suck.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

And 15 minutes from Tahoe?? :D

Definite mixed signals coming out on this one. I'd say the Singleton connection alone is enough to stay away, based on what I have read.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's Vallejo - kind of like working in Jersey or upstate when you want to work in Manhattan.

6. Lions Suck

Lions Suck New Member

Talk about hitting the nail on the head.

7. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Hey all, just my opinion, but this doesn't sound like too bad a gig.

However, 1. It isn't 15 minutes from Lake Tahoe, it's more like two hours, though it is about 30 minutes from The City. 2. Vallejo is on I-80 with Six Flags Marine World (and some truly killer roller coasters) on the west side and the other side of the tracks on the east side. I've stayed there a few times while covering the NASCAR and NHRA events at Infineon Raceway (about 20 minutes off I-80, west on Highway 37 in, as ESPN likes to repeat over and over, "the beautiful Sonoma Valley." 3. After an interview like the one we just read about on this thread, I'd be careful.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Just to let you know, bpoin... the "15 minutes from Tahoe" thing is a running joke in these parts ... :) ...

9. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Thanks sportsguy. But now you have my curiosity up. What's the history of the joke?

10. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

We'll have to get you that thread, although I think it's also in the official SportsJournalists.com stylebook. They used it on me when I challenged them on Flagstaff being 15 mins from Tahoe. So it might be on that thread as well.

11. West Coast

West Coast New Member

Anyone hear anything recent on this? Heard it had a bunch of applications, and I think it has been removed from J-Jobs.

12. thebigd

thebigd Member

Guys I worked in the next town over back in the mid-90s. I know the paper has changed hands, but I would give a ringing endorsement to Jack Bungart, who is the managing editor. Former sports guy and I know he would be a great guy to work for

Draft saved Draft deleted