1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports desk/copy editor, Coeur d’Alene Press

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by aschaefe, Apr 19, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Except that many Wal-Mart and grocery store workers have college degrees, too. As do many unemployed people.

Unless you were studying medicine or law or engineering or some other highly specialized field of study, "college graduate" means, well, shit.

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Piling on late here, I know, but all the warnings on this thread are spot on. CDA is a sweatshop's sweatshop. You have to want it and want it bad to go there.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Hadn't checked back in, so I missed your thought-out, well-reasoned response. I'm sorry you live in East Shitistan, but the reason jobs like this pay so poorly is because there's always someone willing to take crap money to "live where it's pretty." Forgive me for actually expecting that a company might be willing to take the novel step of paying someone decent money to live in a decent place. I forgot that it's one or the other.

And even if you have been laid off, if your bills cost more than you make, it's not a good situation.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

As I said earlier in the thread - which you must have been too busy slaving away to have read - I didn't realize just how low of pay is being talked about in CDA.

Plus, everyone on this site bitches about every job that is ever posted, so I thought I'd point out the area is among the most beautiful in the nation and if you can live on low pay - which most of us are doing anyway - then at least you can live in a place like Coeur d'Alene and not in East Shitistan.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Used to work in Cd'A. Covered the first Ironman CDA a few years back. Awesome town, awesome people.

Unfortunately, as others have said,the company and compensation are pretty horrible. Still, not a bad entry-level or second-job gig. You get a lot of hands-on experience, if not a big paycheck.

6. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I think the key difference is Wal-Mart and grocery stores don't require college degrees. If I were working a job with low education/training requirements, I'd fully expect to earn a miniscule wage. I could go down to In-and-Out Burger and get a job that made me as much as my last reporter position, but I wouldn't have had to go through four years of school and theoretically specialized training to land my burger-flipping gig. What papers expect of their employees vs. what they give them is a joke.

As for Coeur d'Alene, I was born there and lived in that area up until I was 14 and the other posters are quite right. It is gorgeous. It's also very rural (north Idaho logging country ain't where you're gonna find much cultural learnin') and the weather is the standard rain/snow/constant overcast combination you expect in the Northwest. That said, Spokane is reasonably close and can give you a reasonable city fix. I have no idea what the paper is like. I can't even remember if we got that daily or the Spokesman-Review delivered at our house.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

The news hole could be smaller, but so could Verne Troyer.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you've worked at every paper in every state in the united states, haven't you?

thank you so much for blessing us on jobs threads that have long been filled. thank you, thank you, thank you. just keep being you, dog.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Do these put downs make you feel better?

Stark sense of insecurity showing.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

may 01, 08.

really, dog, what purpose do you have digging up nearly 5-month-old job posts?

Draft saved Draft deleted