1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports desk/copy editor, Coeur d’Alene Press

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by aschaefe, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Fuck Hagadone. That is all.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Do you know what water is?
    Do you know what mountains are?
    Have you heard of this thing called layoffs?
    Otherwise, go fuck yourself.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Part of the pay is your surroundings, you know.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

SC, I understand where you are coming from, but if I was a copy editor rather than a reporter I would give my left nut to work in Coeur d'Alene.
    I've learned that a place is what you make it, but if you have inherent cool stuff - like Coeur d'Alene does - then that is an advantage.
    I'm not saying someone of your stature should go work there, but a younger person who hasn't established there self in this business and wants to live in a cool area should think long and hard about this job.
    That's all.

5. The formidable SportsChique is correct. Though Spokane is about as wondrous as a one-legged hooker with herpes, Cd'A is indeed most splendid. Do not swim too deep into the lake, though, for you might stir up some of the mining sludge and have it find its unfortunate way into some rich soul's personal water-craft, or "jet ski."

Hagadone, however, is most certainly not splendid in a big way. Toiling there is like having a lit cigarette put into your eye (or being forced to read Tom Petty posts) when you expected a gentle kiss on the cheek from a loved one.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, I didn't know that. I still would move to Couer d'Alene in a heart beat.

As far as the other poster, Spokane isn't that bad if you live in West Texas. In fact, Spokane is pretty fucking nice.

7. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

No doubt. Beautiful country. I'd move there as well ... but not for that job.

8. Indeed Mr. Harrison, indeed.

Guess you could live in Post Falls or somewhere like that, and there's no doubt the Inland Northwest beats anywhere in Texas as far as beauty, Angola!, but it's tough to eat the scenery and it barely pays the bills at $10 an hour. But for someone starting out, it might be a good stepping stone to the S-R or such. It would be a tough couple of years though on that salary.

Oddly enough, Hagadone pays more at some of its weeklies than it does in Cd'A. Not sure why that's the case.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Could you live in Sandpoint? I would assume that's a bit cheaper. I'm not sure how far away it is, though.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A guy I know who once worked there lived in Post Falls. Couldn't dream of affording CDA.

He did not have nice things to say about the paper.

11. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

CDA is beautiful and Mark Nelke has always been a great person to work with. They have a couple talented shooters too, which will help with the whole design angle. If they're low-balling on the pay, it'd still be a great starter job. If you're looking at these types of papers and these types of jobs, you're probably not going to get paid anyway. You might as well live somewhere nice. That, and for anyone who hasn't noticed, openings in the Northwest have been few and far between. That is a factor to some folks in this transient career path.

12. I know of very few professions where starting salaries are so embarrassingly low as in this business. And the prevailing attitude seems to be that the owners/publishers do it because they can get away with it. It's ridiculous to expect college graduates to work for less money than they would make in a Wal-Mart or grocery store with no more than, and in many cases, not even, a high school diploma.

Sorry, rant over. M*****f*****s.

Draft saved Draft deleted