1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports desk/copy editor, Coeur d’Alene Press

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by aschaefe, Apr 19, 2008.

1. aschaefe

aschaefe New Member

Description:
    The Coeur d’Alene Press in scenic North Idaho has an immediate opening for a combination sports desk person/copy editor. The successful applicant will split time between the sports and news desks, editing stories and paginating pages. On the sports side, applicants must be able to take game reports over the phone, and could be called upon to cover the occasional game, write a column or write a feature. Experience in InDesign is a plus. Send cover letter, resume and clips to Mark Nelke, Coeur d’Alene Press, P.O. Box 7000, Coeur d’Alene, ID 83814, or e-mail to mnelke@cdapress.com

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=911133

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Mark Nelke is a cool cat. Plus, this is one of the most beautiful places in America. I'm not sure what they pay, but it can be pretty pricey to live in Couer d'Alene so that is something to look out for.

I remember this paper doing a pretty good job, but it is going to be preps heavy, of course. Coeur d'Alene is close to Spokane, so you have some big city aspects nearby. But if you love the outdoors and you love water - the lake there is unreal - then I would definitely jump on this one.

3. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

VERY nice area. The resort in Coeur d’Alene is awesome. Its golf course has the only floating green in the world -- you have to take a fairy out to it after teeing off.

[​IMG]

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Isn't this paper owned by a guy who pretty much owns everything in town? At least that's what I heard something like 10 years ago.

5. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Does she sprinkle you and the clubs with pixie dust?

;-)

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

That is correct, Big Sleeper. I did the Ironman there last year and it is VERY pricey. The paper does niche publications that are obviously not directed to anyone who makes newspaper dollars so I came away with the impression the newspaper is very cheap and there would be no way to live there on your own without some kind of assistance -- roommates or food stamps.

But yes, it's fucking gorgeous up there. High on my list of places to be notwithstanding the cost of living.

7. jps

jps Active Member

Damn I hate when I show up late for an enjoyable retort!

(makes one wonder ... I figured you wouldn't see that other than in maybe San Francisco?)

(the pro shop could sell its own brand of balls there specifically designed for the hole ... maybe Tinker Balls?)

8. jps

jps Active Member

Though, as far as information that is actually worth something ... have heard from some that would know, and the advice given was to stay away at all costs ... I can't give you any reasons because I don't have them and wasn't interested in finding out more - so take that for what it's worth.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I heard there are more retired Los Angeles cops live there than in L.A.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Thought it was Hagadone. Thanks, SC. I'd heard many of the same things.

Yet another shitty work situation in a wonderful place.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This area is cool enough to live in that it should be considered no matter the pay. If I laid out pages I would go. Immediately. If Mark Nelke left, I would give my left nut to replace him.

But Nelke is cool, so he shouldn't leave.

Seriously, though, you can live in the surrounding areas and this job could be for you.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Re: Sports desk/copy editor, Coeur d’Alene Press

As I've said before, that's what they're counting on.

Draft saved Draft deleted