1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer/writer, Jackson Citizen Patriot

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Chris Iott, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I agree with IJAG. Anyone worth their salt would catch errors that egregious, even on a quick read.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Then that leaves only the concept of the stories not being read, which was my original point.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Which I've already addressed. Thanks for playing.

4. WSKY

WSKY Member

Sorry to rant about the ghetto, but I lived there, and it's the truth. Jackson is a decent place, but like nearly every city — especially in Michigan — it too has some rough parts. As for the paper, the last time I looked, it was heading in the right direction. Good luck with the job search.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's dyepack's world. We just live in it.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Well, my idea was people who are being paid to read stories and make corrections from time to time would, I don't know, read the stories. Ain't that hard, but I guess it can be when people don't want to/don't think they have to do it.

Maybe I should be looking into what journalism schools are teaching.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But you're working under an assumption that every paper that advertises a job that is a combination of two things is that combination every night. Which is nearly never true, at least as far as I can tell.

That's my point. One night could be design, one night could be copy editing. You still have to advertise for both skills, but you don't have to do both simultaneously.

Whether that's the case in Jackson, I don't know. And I apologize for jacking Chris' job thread. But your one-note attacks, which are flimsy at their base, look even more ridiculous when you refuse to see the points presented to you.

8. Sheed

Sheed New Member

So does anyone know any facts about this newspaper... I'm guessing since they so close to Ann Arbor and East Lansing Big Ten football and basketball is a primary emphasis. How many high schools? What is the emphasis on those high schools and how many are in Jackson? How many people work in the sports Department? Quark or InDesign?
    This doesn't sound like a bad gig, but the job description is a little vague... Anyone with any deatail such as these would be greatly appreciated.

9. Chris Iott

Chris Iott New Member

Keep "jacking" the job thread, ijag. You're doing fine work. Thanks.

And thanks for your post, WSKY. Of course there are bad spots in every town. The great thing about working here is you make enough money so you can live in the nice areas. I, for one, live in a great neighborhood inside the city limits. My kids are free to roam the general area without fear. Some vandals did stop by last week, however. They kicked over my neighbor's political signs and unscrewed one light bulb in my front yard. They didn't break the bulb. They even left it in the fixture. Just unscrewed it so it was dark. Future felons, I'm sure.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Chris, that's what the "good" kids do when they want to be bad. I know, I was one of them growing up. They can't bring themselves to do really bad things, so they make a little ruckus and leave. :)

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You won't be covering any Big Ten stuff. You'd be using the Ann Arbor News stuff for U-M and Booth has a news bureau in Lansing for the MSU stuff. Same thing with the pros.

I can't remember all the schools they cover, but Jackson High had a kid go to U-M as a QB/WR, altho I think he's hurt this year. Jackson Lumen Christi is a powerhouse in football (most years in division 5 or 6, out of 8 divisions).

Some of the smaller schools just south of Jackson are perennial state title contenders in wrestling. And there are a couple decent volleyball teams each year from the area. Not sure if Blissfield is in their area, but they have a great baseball program.

12. FlyOnTheWall

FlyOnTheWall New Member

There's a lot to be said for low cost housing there compared to the pay. And the Patriot HAS covered UM games for their local high schoolers who go to the Big Ten. Iott is a cool guy besides.

Draft saved Draft deleted