1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer/writer, Gillette, WY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jul 23, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

It's the best of both creative worlds — design and writing. The job encompasses primarily sports in a sports-crazy town. This 8,700-circulation daily newspaper is near some of the best climbing, hiking and fishing the West has to offer. We’re looking for someone who wants to graphically energize the sports department, as well as tell some of its stories. The successful candidate must be a self-starter who is passionate about news. He/she should have a zest for life and a love of people. Submit a resume and portfolio/clips by Aug. 31. Send to Editor Ann Franscell, P.O. Box 3006, Gillette, WY 82717. For more information, please call (307) 682-9306, Ext. 203

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Turned down a radio job here once. Makes me shiver just thinking about it. Town is growing like crazy in its latest boom cycle, and I believe there is a JC there along with a big (for Wyoming) high school. Rodeo rules as well.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

High school finals rodeo there every year, I believe. Don't remember a juco in Gillette. I can't say enough good things about Wyoming (clean air, inexpensive living, no income tax, and low population despite the growth) but I could give or take Gillette. This would be good for a first gig.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No juco there that I remember. Campbell County High School (you'll call them "Gillette," just like the rest of the state does) is the largest high school in the state and they probably need to build a second high school there, but it will never happen because (supposedly) the school sports boosters are afraid they'll lose their advantage over the rest of the state.

Gillette itself ... meh. It's nothing special. Seems like every time I drove there, I was driving face-first into a blizzard. But hey ... that's October along I-90 for you.

Is this a second position in the sports department, or is Kathy Brown leaving?

EDIT: The National High School Finals Rodeo is held in Springfield, Ill., this year and last after a two-year run in Gillette. The NHSRA has it on a two-year rotation, so it may move back to Farmington, N.M., next year.

5. azom

azom Member

Ah, Gillette -- my first job was at this paper. It sounds like they might be taking the sports/county government job I had and turning it into sports/designer.... Maybe.

Anyway, this is a good first gig. They're a PM paper M-F and an AM paper on Sunday (no Saturday edition). They do a lot of good work for a paper its size and they've won the Deming Cup a couple times recently (given to the best daily paper in the state of Wyoming).

Gillette College (the juco) only has rodeo, a sport they recently added and will start in the fall. Basketball, volleyball and cross country are in the discussion stages, though. The Gillette Camels are a dynasty in basically every high school sport. The community does get the NHSFR for a two-year span every six years. It won't be back to Gillette until 2010.

Gillette living is expensive for Wyoming (coal country and miners are loaded), but cheap when compared to the rest of the country.

6. azom

azom Member

Open again: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=826301

We’re looking for someone who wants to energize a sports department by covering not just the many championship prep teams we have here, but also cover the people who spend their free time taking advantage of the nearby rock climbing, hiking, fishing and hunting that the area has to offer. The job encompasses all sports in a sports-crazy town. The 8,700-circulation daily newspaper wants a self-starter who is passionate about storytelling and loves people. The job includes reporting and design. Submit a resume and clips by Oct. 15. Send to Editor Ann Franscell, P.O. Box 3006, Gillette, WY 82717. For more information, please call (307) 682-9306, Ext. 203.

7. I'll second that. When I was in Wyoming, people were always quick to saw bad things about Gillette...but it was only because they were tired of their teams getting killed by the Camels.

Draft saved Draft deleted