1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Designer - The Villages Daily Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by nickfeely, Jun 20, 2018.

1. nickfeely

nickfeely New Member

The Villages Daily Sun, America’s fastest growing daily newspaper, is seeking a seasoned sports designer to define the high-end of what is possible in community journalism.

We’re looking for a self-directed newsroom leader who’s comfortable presenting the sports section in a new and a sophisticated way. This position is focused on sports, but we produce weekly special projects, several special sections and niche products to which you could also contribute.

Ours is a newsroom that values experimental thinking and the power of unconventional storytelling. We offer the newshole, print quality, technology (fully Mac) and leadership support that enable good visual journalists to become truly great.

Our work is consistently recognized at the industry level – the daily Sports section was named one of the 10 best in the nation by the Associated Press Sports Editors. The sports team also took honorable mention honors in the Sunday sports section and special section categories. Our design team brought home 3 Awards of Excellence in the Society for News Design's international World's Best Designed Newspaper competition. Our winning work was singled out from more than 5,000 entries from around the globe and will be published in a book distributed this fall.

We’re a 90-mile drive to the beach, Orlando’s theme parks and the historic neighborhoods of Gainesville and St. Augustine. We offer competitive pay, excellent benefits and access to a highly regarded charter school system in one of the state’s most idyllic settings.

You can see some of our philosophy on our tumblr page: vdailysun.tumblr.com

Then apply by sending a letter of introduction, a resume and portfolio to the attention of Associate Editor Matthew Fry at matthew.fry@thevillagesmedia.com. And then fill out the online application for the “production editor” position at Production Editor REQ#4405 - compasshrm

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, my buddy who lives in The Villages posted that on FB the other day. Interesting dichotomy.

4. nickfeely

nickfeely New Member

Hi all, this search is still ongoing! If you are interested, please don't hesitate to drop me a line at nick-dot-feely-at-thevillagesmedia-dot-com

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Villages is a fascinating area, take that any way you want. But the residents do read the paper. And to have that much golf outside your door plus golf-cart parking at Publix, I could think of worse ways to live.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My gut feeling is that, with the high percentage of 50-and-over residents, the job security is stronger than in most places for a newspaper designer.

7. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Yeah I’d have to think so. And as far as the residents reading the newspaper that’s great which is what our industry needs right now. Unfortunately it’s the exception and not the norm. I wonder what their digital presence is outside of their website out of curiosity’s sake.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Print readership is literally rapidly growing for this paper. If you're a designer, this is one of the best spots to be at. Always have great design. And it's not a hub.

9. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Any word on this?

Draft saved Draft deleted