1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer (Santa Barbara, Cali.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=461570

Description:
    The Santa Barbara News-Press is seeking a creative, self-motivated, detail-oriented designer and copy editor for its SND-award winning Sports section. Ideal candidates will have superior design skills, solid copy-editing skills, a keen awareness of deadline and experience on a daily sports desk. Duties will include designing C1 at least twice a week, designing inside pages, editing local and wire copy, writing local roundups from coaches' calls and handling agate. The News-Press uses DTI's PageSpeed 4.2 to produce pages, but will be switching to InDesign-based PageSpeed 5.5 later this year. This is a full-time position. If interested, please send your resume and design clips to the Santa Barbara News-Press, P.O. Box 1359,Santa Barbara, CA. 93102-1359 Attn: Human Resources or e-mail to apodaca@newspress.com.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Run far. Run fast. Don't look over your shoulder or you'll be turned into a pillar of salt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Barbara_News-Press_controversy

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

An apartment in Isla Vista ... the Pacific Ocean at your toes ... tempting.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

Working for Wendy McCaw .... not so tempting.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I used to think that this would be the perfect place to spend the last 10 or 15 years of my career. Now I wouldn't touch that job. In addition, there's a job action there, so you have the possibility of being labeled a scab.

Nope, Santa Barbara's beautiful, but it's not worth working for Beezelbub herself.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Veterans of the DTI 4 to 5 switch at my current paper speak of it the way one speaks of a traumatic childhood experience.

7. thebigd

thebigd Member

Can I ask a dumb question. If you use Quark, how tough is it to pick up InDesign?

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Not very.

9. doctorx

doctorx Member

At least the posting doesn't call for applicants to be "passionate."

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Passionate journalists tend to give a shit about how they're treated. Wendy wants to avoid all that.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/60209/

Draft saved Draft deleted