1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Designer, San Bernardino Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by buckweaver, Mar 27, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Damn, so I won't even get to play pranks on Gluck.

2. The JOB Squad

The JOB Squad New Member

Okay ... how about pretty good? If Gluck were still out there, I'd apply for the position. I love So. Cal and it's just far enough away that you don't get caught up in all the peculiars of LA, Hollywood, etc. Plus the chance to just design at a big paper would be a great step for those who aspire to become designers. You could certainly do worse.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Echo all those sentiments on a paper I grew up reading.

Louie Brewster is good people and this place has sent people all over hill and dale. You could do worse, indeed.

4. m2spts

m2spts Member

When you work in San Bernardino, you can either be a part of the SoCal -- Los Angeles -- scene or not.
    It's more than an hour there, a different world.
    Guys like Gary Patton, Steve Dilbeck and Paul Oberjuerge did a good job of bringing the big time to the area, and got a chunk of gas mileage.
    Frankly, I spent a couple of years commuting from Riverside to southwest L.A. while covering four major beats -- and it finally caught up with me.
    The LA commute is even worse now.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Fixed.

Oberjuerge is the full-time columnist there now. Dilbeck is the No. 1 columnist at the LA Daily News and Patton is the No. 1 columnist at the Press-Enterprise. As he pointed out, Mile High is a former mainstay there who has moved up the food chain, as has Nate Ryan (USA Today), Mike Davis (copy editor at the LA Times) and others.

It's Singleton, but as you've seen here, you could do a lot worse.

And m2 is right. The commute is hideous. :'(

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good catch, Birdie.

Yes, the traffic in the I.E. is brutal now. And you're pretty much an hour -- with good traffic -- to the big spots from S.B.: Mountains (actually you can be in Lake Arrowhead in about 40 minutes), beach, desert, downtown L.A.

As mentioned on earlier threads about S.B. (and above), other writers have gone on to bigger places from here, and Gregg, Steve and Paul -- I'll add Mike Davis, Leah Reiter and Mike Terry, just to name three more -- were part of a solid core in the 1980s and 1990s that made this a fun place to work.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

You SB alums forgot to mention the major earthquake fault that runs right down main street.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Actually, it's right over the 10-215 interchange and through the local junior college, but, yeah, it's close. (No, it's not the San Andreas; that's 15 miles up the road through Cajon Pass.) E Street sits on a very low water table that is prone to flooding.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

San Andreas fault runs right through a high school buddy's back yard.
    As discussed elsewhere, this used to be a solid, stand-alone staff (actually three, with the Sun, Daily Report and Fred Claire-led Progress-Bulletin). Now it's more of a branch of the no-SE LANG family. Despite its stlll-notable circulation, this shop has become more of a resume builder than destination. That said, Louis is a nice guy.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Editude, your contrast of "used to be a stand-alone staff" vs. "now just a branch of LANG" is a little misleading. While it's true that we don't have our own major-sport beat writers anymore -- all LANG papers share the same copy for Dodgers, Lakers, etc. -- we very much have autonomy on the things we do cover locally. We use the LANG-wide copy for pro sports (except NASCAR/NHRA), but most of our copy is from our own staff and about our coverage area. I can't stop anyone from pining for the old days, but let's at least give an accurate portrayal of what we do now, please.

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Well, autonomy in that San Bernardino and Ontario are basically the same section and they used to be separate and were competitors.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

My thought is that mid-30s seems light considering housing costs in the area. Ten years ago, housing costs were manageable but that isn't so much the case today. The local school districts start their teachers off at over $40K, so that should give you an idea of costs in the area.

The southern California area is difficult for sports writers simply because of the lack of opportunities. Using all LANG copy means that one person is covering the local pro team instead of three or four - decreasing opportunities. Having LANG own eight papers isn't a good thing for writers and editors. That's not a pleasant fact, but it is the situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted