1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer; Provo, Utah

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

As the ad states, must be willing to work nights.

From JJobs.com: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=689866

Company: Daily Herald
    Position: Seeking Sports Designer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: March 8, 2010
    Job ID: 689866

Description:
    Job description: Sports Copy Editor

The Daily Herald, a 35,000 circulation daily newspaper in Provo, Utah, is looking for a page designer/copy editor for the sports desk. Our sports page is award winning, annually competing for the top spot in the APSE contest. We've won APSE Top 10 awards for our special football section in four of the past five years. We cover BYU, the Utah Jazz, Utah Valley University, the Utah Flash (D-League) and the Orem Owlz (minor league baseball). We have 17 local high schools and our coverage of their teams is second to none. The ideal candidate must have previous design and layout experience, preferably in Quark or In-Design, as well as English-language editing skills. The Daily Herald is located about 45 miles south of Salt Lake City.

Duties include, but not limited to: - Designing compelling pages for the sports section and annual special sections - Writing headlines, cutline and display type to draw readers in - Editing the wires and selecting stories and photos of interest to a broad general audience - Preparing a budget for your section on a daily basis - Performing well under deadline pressure and managing page flow for efficiency

Applicant must be willing to work nights.

The Daily Herald offers exciting career opportunities and competitive salary. Our industry-leading benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans.

To learn more about our company or to apply, please log onto www.heraldextra.com and click on "Jobs" and then "Opportunities at Herald Communications" for a listing of our open positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with salary history.

We are a drug-free workplace and all applicants considered for employment must pass a post-offer drug screen and background check prior to commencing employment.

2. Pluggin Away

Pluggin Away New Member

Provo's in a gorgeous spot along the Wasatch Front - an outdoor enthusiast's paradise, honestly. However, it does take a certain kind of person to live in Utah County. The people there are some of the nicest people you can find (there's a reason they call it "Happy Valley" on occasion), but it is a very, very conservative community, so if that's not your cup of tea, you might want to look elsewhere. If you prefer a conservative community, then this definitely fits that bill.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Apartments are relatively cheap to rent, but the Herald doesn't pay well either. Would it be fair to say this pays around 25k?

4. Pluggin Away

Pluggin Away New Member

Probably right around there, but that might actually be pretty adequate pay in that area. With two universities in the immediate area, housing's bound to come pretty cheap, as is just about everything else (wouldn't want to alienate all the college students by making everything expensive, forcing them to take their business to Salt Lake City).

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I think you'd dig Provo. You could do well there.

6. Provonian

Provonian New Member

Provo is a gorgeous community in which to live, and in a community of two universities, as well as a plethora of major league and minor league sports options (remember, it's only a 30-45 minute drive to SLC), it should fit well into the types of 'active sports enthusiasts' common to these boards.

However, the Daily Herald is a hyperlocal newspaper in a very, very conservative market (the reddest county of the reddest state). In other words, don't expect to do a whole lot of liberal designs, etc. But at $25k, you can make a reasonable living in Provo, and a good living in some small towns in southern Utah County (i.e. Springville, Spanish Fork, Payson, etc; GoogleMap it to see how close these towns are). If you're looking for very good local coverage, and a paper that will definitely last IN PRINT for a number of years, this is a good gig.

The Web site is subpar in many areas (see heraldextra.com), but for 'old-time journalists,' young and old, it's a good work environment.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

$25 K isn't that much to begin with, and it's even less if you're giving 10 percent off the top, as I would expect many candidates for this job might do.

8. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

No doubt...25K for this job is a joke...someone will apply and someone will enslave themselves to it.

9. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Provo's a great place to live, and I agree with all the comments about living there. I would say that sometimes, I think their design on sports pages is better than the design from the Deseret News or Salt Lake Tribune, especially for BYU football stuff. The only problem — and I think the pay is part of this — is that when you've got students from the newspaper at BYU looking at a job at the Herald as a step down, you know the paper's got a problem.

10. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Their current SE, Darnell Dickson, is good people. Any other info I have on this place is very, very dated.

11. guyfromma

guyfromma New Member

I second Darnell Dickson being good people -- very easy to get along with. And BYU beat writer Jason Franchuk is a quality young reporter -- if that has anything to do with anything.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Just a guess, but it may be more than that. I'm working at a paper in the same chain, half the circulation size, and making considerably more.

I know a lot of people knock Lee, but my experience working for them has been a good one.

Draft saved Draft deleted