1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer, Myrtle Beach (updated)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Kurt Knapek, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Kurt Knapek

Kurt Knapek New Member

It appears there will be a sports design opening at The Sun News, a McClatchy newspaper in Myrtle Beach.
    This position will replace a copy editor, who recently departed for the Detroit Free Press.
    The position isn't posted yet, but I would suggest sending resumes to:

Shane Bowen, sports editor
    The Sun News
    PO Box 406
    Myrtle Beach, SC 29578-0406

or-mail sbowen@thesunnews.com

If you want more info, PM me.

PS - The paper is also searching for a news designer. PM me and I'll feed you the details and contact people.

2. nachoman

nachoman New Member

Re: Sports designer, Myrtle Beach

When is the last time someone stayed in Myrtle Beach for more than two minutes?

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Three people -- columnist, golf writer, lead designer -- have been in MB for more than 10 years.

4. nachoman

nachoman New Member

Three people .. wow! How many sports people have left in the last couple years?

5. Grey

Grey Member

last sports ed left after about three months, right?

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

So, what exactly do we covet in a job, nachoman? The pessimism on this site is sometimes sickening.

If everyone on staff has been there forever, there must be no chance of moving on to bigger, better things. And if no one has been there more than 10 years, then it must be a shithole.

It's worth noting that the recent high turnover at the Sun News occurred under the Knight-Ridder regime. The switch to McClatchy might improve some things.

The Sun News is part of a nice network of McClatchy papers in the Carolinas (The State, Raleigh N&O, Charlotte Observer). Given McClatchy's reputation for promoting from within, this could become a nice jumping off spot.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Not sure how much had to do with the KR deal.
    But of the four people who left since last summer -- and the reason for so many job openings lately -- one left for the aforementioned Detroit Free Press (this opening); another (reporter) left for the St. Pete Times; the SE wasn't sure he wanted to stay in the biz and resigned after a little more than a year on the job; the last person (copy editor) departed to help run her dad's company in VT.

8. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Former sports editor was in that role for about a year and a half, I believe, though others could probably speak more accurately. He is still with the paper, in another role.

Good post by Barsuk.

As I said the last time a job here popped up, there is infinitely more stability now in the top of the department. But at a paper this size, with talented people coming through, that could not matter a bit because people will move on if they get a better opportunity, which seems to be happening often here.

So what's the problem?

Overall, good spot, good people, good beaches, good(looking) girls for 10 months out of the year.

9. Kurt Knapek

Kurt Knapek New Member

as promised ..... it's posted

http://www.snd.org/jobs/jobs.lasso?ID=39159

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=659773

10. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Edited to add something I recently found out while in the dirty myrtle.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That's the thing I like about high school girls; I keep getting older, and they keep staying the same age.

[​IMG]

12. The Duke

The Duke Member

"All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine. "

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted