1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer, Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Smokey33, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Anyone who tells you about corporate rules regarding salaries is blowing smoke. In the old Knight Ridder, there were no rules. That doesn't mean it was fair. If a boss cited some "rule," it was because he or she didn't want to be honest. Plenty of people in Knight Ridder got huge raises when they threatened to leave; other people got shafted on raises. Is that a big surprise?

2. zman82

zman82 Member

makes you wonder why the company no longer exists ... Karma anyone?

3. MiamiHeraldChick, you're exactly right. The "stars" get the big raises at the Herald, the others don't unless they are leaving -- and by then it's too late -- and then they just shaft the rest of them. never saw such a big pack of liars as i did when i worked for the herald.

thank god it's better now. i got tired of waiting for the Vaunted Herald Leaders to grant me the star status i deserved. and i didn't want to be a star. i just wanted to be treated better than they were willing to offer. they like to run a sweatshop down there in miami, and if you try to make things better, they brand you as a non-compliant player.

you're heard it all before: stay away from the miami herald. good stories down there, but you'll forget about how fun life is away from your job. i'd rather be in iowa now.

4. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Heywood,

I couldn't disagree more with what you said (well, 90-95 percent anyway).
    A sweatshop? Hardly. You want sweatshop, go work for a middle-sized newspaper and continue to kill yourself doing it all. I found it refreshing to concentrate on one or two aspects of journalism.
    I hope to return someday soon to the Herald.

5. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Hmmm, Iowa or South Florida . . . Iowa or South Florida . . . now which one will make me forget how much fun I can have outside of work????

Draft saved Draft deleted