1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer in St. Petersburg

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Koz, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Koz

Koz New Member

The St. Petersburg Times is seeking an entry-level designer to work in the sports department. Characteristics of our ideal candidate:
    -- Passion for sports coverage and the ability to create dynamic page designs
    -- Great ideas and ability to express them
    -- Willingness and enthusiasm to work hard
    -- Flexibility to work weekends

2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

This place gets the seal of approval. If you're really good, go for it.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, this might be the last ad we ever have for the St. Petersburg Times...Since they're becoming the Tampa Bay Times on Jan. 1.

But yes, it's a good sports desk.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yeah, whoever gets this job will probably never technically be able to say they worked for the St. Petersburg Times.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And they'll work for three months before being laid off?

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Anyone know who left to create this opening? Just curious.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

entry-level? Really?

8. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

I'm also surprised at the words "entry-level." I guess that says something about the money they have to offer for this position. And it says something about the state of the industry when the St. Petersburg Times is hiring employees at the entry level.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Entry level and dynamic page design don't really go together do they? Basically, they want a good designer to work for an entry level salary. Good luck with that.

10. This industry is worse than I thought if this is the tone of a thread on a job opening at the St. Pete Times. Say what you want about it being an entry-level position, but it's still the St. Pete Times. Well, Tampa Bay Times.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Entry level at the St. Petersburg Times is very different from entry level at the Podunk Press. They're probably looking for either someone who did standout work and had good internships in college or someone who has done well at a smaller paper. They're definitely paying more than the Podunk Press. These shops almost all have base salaries.

My first job out of college was at a newspaper with half the circulation of the SPT. I was listed as Copy Editor I, an entry-level position with base-level pay for that paper. I was paid about $4,000 a year more than a friend who went to a smaller newspaper as deputy sports editor out of college. He had an excellent resume (as did I, not to brag) which helped him land that position. He helped oversee three reporters and a desk worker (while reporting, designing and copy editing himself).

The SPT is one of the best newspapers in the country. And it's not owned by a big chain. And it's still committed to vivid storytelling. And it still has Gary Shelton, who I rate as one of the very best newspaper sports columnists left. This is a great position, even if they're calling it "entry level."

12. What Versatile said.

Draft saved Draft deleted