1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer, Florence, Ala.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 24, 2006.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i know for a fact the sports editor pays his debts -- not that he really loses very often.
    The shoals is a pretty good place -- cheap to live, nightlife is improving, and north alabama has some of the best looking women in the country.
    Also, the big-city life (memphis, nashville, b'ham) is all two hours away. Tunica, for those who like that sort of thing, is three hours. the gulf is 51/2-6 hour drive.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Really? Did Julio get replaced?

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think -- I know, in fact, you're getting your leg pulled. You probably realize that, too.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

my sources say response has been luke warm so far. This would be a good starting point for somebody, or a good thing for somebody who wants to move from a smaller daily.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

See if Flash wants to move from Calgary to Florence... I'm sure the SE won't mind her spending all working hours here...

6. HejiraHenry

just bumping this back to the first page ... an excellent opportunity to join the fine NYT Regional Group.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

this needed a bump because time is running short to get that resume in, boys and girls. Football in the deep south is upon us.

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

bump: florence gig still open and available

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Good source on this opening says the T-D Sports Editor had a highly qualified candidate in for a lunchtime interview today, but any deal fell apart when said Sports Editor refused to pick up the check. ;)

Also heard the guy he was interviewing was demanding 13 weeks of vacation, which is about what he gets at his current gig.

10. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Any update on this gig?

I understand one of the leading candidates is from a NYTRNG paper in Florida and his background includes a lengthy stint at one of Alabama's best papers (not the Advertiser-Gleam, though).

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

ESPN is reporting that there are two candidates, but no interviews scheduled as of yet.
    It would be a great gig for a young whipper-snapper or a veteran looking for a good area with a low cost of living and cheap beer.

12. HejiraHenry

What happened to the desk guy who was there? Has he posted bail yet?  ???

Draft saved Draft deleted