1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer, Florence, Ala.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 24, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm doing this job right now, so feel free to PM me with any questions, especially if you have the requisite "pizzazz":

http://journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?Media=all&JobID=652634

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

As a former T. Wayne Mitchell employee, I can tell you that he can be a hardass. He's a good guy, though, and I seem to remember (well, not really) a shit-ton of tequila shots at his house during his annual christmas party.

3. HejiraHenry

Well, he's certainly looking for allies as he tackles the presentation issues he sees as crucial in moving forward. That could present additional opportunities down the road, I suppose.

4. greenthumb

greenthumb Member

Not sure who is still there, but I know the TD sports department guys (and girl, once upon a time) used to fall under the heading 'Good People.' Doubt that has changed too much. They cover Division II North Alabama heavy and — like every Alabama paper with more than two people in the department — send folks to Auburn and Tuscaloosa as needed. Other than that, it's all about the high schools — and golf, of course, assuming Julio is still there. ;) Stewart Cink is a Florence native, so I think the TD still tries to get to the Masters and any other major within reason (no British, though).

Of course, this position is desk, so it's not like you'd be going to any of that. But at least you know you'll get chances to build design around some big events.

The town itself is OK. It has everything you need, and the rumor is they are finally getting a decent movie theater — how a college town went so long without one is beyond me. Housing market isn't what I would describe as lively but that also means you can get a good house for reasonable coin. If you are looking for an apartment, you'll have no problem finding something reasonable within just a few miles of the office.

Like everywhere in the South, the food's good. If you like jazz/blues, there is no beating the week-long W.C. Handy Festival.

1 hour to Huntsville, 2 hours to Nashville, 2 hours to Birmingham, 2.5 hours to Memphis. And for you Skynyrd fans, 5 miles to Muscle Shoals.

5. HejiraHenry

GreenThumb pretty much nails it.

(That theater is open now, by the way. It is, indeed, maybe even better than decent.)

6. House

House Guest

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! And that's why I'm not applying. Hate desk work.

But Florence has gotten nicer since I was there last.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

So are you going to post that on every desk position opening?

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

The Sports Editor doesn't pay up his golf debts, that much I know.  ;D

HejiraHenry will be sorely missed. They do a nice job from a presentation standpoint for a Sports staff that size.

I don't know the Executive Editor, but the current Managing Editor was Sports Editor for many years, if that matters.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Or other debts from games of chance... ;)

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

you cannot work for a better person than gregg dewalt, the sports editor. julio is one of the greatest dudes in the biz

11. HejiraHenry

I had always heard that. Turns out, it's true.

12. House

House Guest

Just vouching for Florence/Muscle Shoals.

My favorite thing to do was Decatur's July 4 celebration at Point Mallard. The Miss Point Mallard pageant fed into Miss Alabama and Miss USA (or America, whatever), so I knew a few drop-dead gorgeous women from the broadcasting major from college that competed. They used to draw good country acts, too, but I heard it went to hell in the last few years. I think the actual water park is still nice though (wave pool, olympic pools and diving boards, slides, 18-hole golf course).

Also, the Memorial Day hot-air balloon event was okay. There used to be a balloon in the form of a bottle of Jim Beam. Add in funnel cake and a fat-Elvis impersonator and it doesn't get any more Southern than that.

Just my $.02.

Draft saved Draft deleted