1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports designer/copy editor, Temple, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sportschick, Mar 26, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Company: Temple Daily Telegram
    Position: Sports page designer/copy editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: April 30, 2007
    Job ID: 755882

Description:
    The sports department of the Temple Daily Telegram, a 24,000-circulation newspaper in Central Texas, seeks a skilled, creative page designer/copy editor to complete our full-time staff of five. Assignments will include designing front and inside pages, writing headlines and photo captions and editing copy and agate. The ideal candidate must have a strong knowledge of sports, AP style, grammar, spelling and punctuation, possess excellent attention to detail and be capable of getting accurate work done on deadline. Experience with QuarkXPress is preferred. It is also preferred that candidates be well-versed in Texas pro, college and high school sports and have at least one year of relevant experience at a daily newspaper. We take pride in our coverage of Temple, Belton, 24 other area high schools, Temple College, the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor and the CenTex Barracudas, a professional indoor football team. We also often staff Big 12 Conference football games. This position offers a competitive salary, medical benefits, paid vacation and a company savings plan. Send a cover letter, résumé with references and design examples to sports editor Greg Wille by mail (preferred) at Temple Daily Telegram sports department, P.O. Box 6114, Temple, TX, 76503-6114, or by e-mail at gwille@temple-telegram.com. For more information, call (254) 778-4444, extension 288 after 2:30 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.

2. boots

boots New Member

Be very afraid of this place. It doesn't get the coveted boots seal of approval.

3. cubman

cubman Member

From personal experience, Boots? We all know how bad the paper down the road is Killeen is. Is Temple a similar situation?

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I've ragged on this place in the past. But I will say this. It's not too bad now. They have a new ME and the paper is getting a complete makeover. I think he may be cleaning house as they've had several openings for editors, designers and reporters listed on JJ and ACES. With a lot of the ads, including this one, it sounds like they may soon be converting to a universal desk.

When I ragged on it before it's because the SE (same guy who is there now) was fairly unqualified to be an SE. But from what I've seen lately, it's a pretty decent paper now. Like the ad says, lots of local copy.
    And no, it's nothing like the rag down the road in Killeen. The Killeen paper is getting worse every day...not even I thought that was possible (the writing has improved, the layouts have not)

5. boots

boots New Member

Let's just say that it doesn't get the coveted boots seal of approval.

6. But they are owned by the same company, right? Just checking because I knew that was the case many years ago. Not sure now and I'm too lazy to look it up :)

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

yep. owned by same lady. Main reason the family bought the Killeen paper was to eliminate the competition. Today, from what I understand, they still treat each other as competitors.
    As far as eliminating the competition: The Killeen paper cannot sell papers in Temple or a few other towns near Temple, but Temple can, and does penetrate Killeen. It sounds messed up to me.
    But none of that has anything to do with this job.

8. cubman

cubman Member

Thanks Joe. Asked for an answer and you gave one. Just starting to feel out what's open in Texas (apparently not much right now) ... the lady is down in Houston so I'm looking for what I can to get closer to her and other family down there.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

No problem Cub. Good luck in your move (if you end up moving). Temple would leave you about 2 hours from Houston.
    You might also look at Waco, just up the interstate. They don't make their openings well-known, so you may just call or send a resume to see what they have. And honeslty, I have no clue if they have anything right now.

10. boots

boots New Member

Waco, which should be pronounced Whacko, was looking for a desk type who could in a pinch do some writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted