1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer/copy editor, Spokane, Wash.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by I Should Coco, Sep 5, 2017.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The Spokesman-Review is currently seeking to fill a full-time Sports Designer/Copy Editor. This position will design pages, edit stories, write headlines, work in the online content management system and handle some duties on the company web site.

Link to J-Jobs ad: JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Designer/Copy Editor

A couple comments:

1. It's a strong sports section, which devotes quite a few resources to college sports. Obviously, Gonzaga is the paper's bread and butter, but the S-R gives a lot of space to WSU football and covers other regional schools (Eastern Washington, University of Idaho) regularly.

2. They're facing the same economic woes as every other newspaper. They recently offered buyouts and were surprised when 10 experienced newsroom employees jumped at the offer (including a couple in sports, I believe).

3. I live in this region and it's a good place to be (current wildfire smoke notwithstanding). There's plenty to do outside of work, from cool bars/bands playing in Spokane to outdoors opportunities throughout the "Inland Northwest."

2. valpo87

valpo87 Member

It was just announced this week.

Draft saved Draft deleted