1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer/copy editor, Montgomery, Al

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From journalismjobs.com
    Are you a sharp page designer and copy editor who cares about details and making deadline? The Montgomery Advertiser is seeking an innovative, hard-working sports page designer/copy editor. Candidates Must have at least three consistent years of experience working for a U.S. daily newspaper. This position will require the creation of designs that are bold and informative. Editor will also post stories to our Web site. Night, weekend work required. Contact: Executive Editor Wanda Lloyd at wlloyd@gannett.com. Prefer email applications, but you may also mail work samples to: Wanda Lloyd, Montgomery Advertiser, 425 Molton St., Montgomery, AL 36104.

2. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

That's strangely worded, eh? Maybe they got burned in the past by some sneaky Canadian

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Hate to be THAT guy, but that's not what's strange.
    What's strange is a Gannett paper hiring.
    What's strange is THIS Gannett paper hiring after just getting a new SE. Did someone leave?

4. times38

times38 Member

is a position like this at a Gannett paper even worth the effort of applying for?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Advertiser' institution Hugh Owen dies

February 7, 2009

Services have been set for Hugh S. Owen III, a respected journalist at the Montgomery Advertiser for nearly four decades.

Owen died early this week at his home in Montgomery. He was 61.

A graveside service will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Sunset Memorial Gardens near Geneva, where he grew up.

Owen was a graduate of Geneva High School, where he was an athlete and standout baseball player. Hugh Owen Stadium in Geneva is named after his father.

Owen graduated from Auburn University with a degree in journalism in 1970, and in 1971 began his career at the Montgomery Advertiser-Alabama Journal. During his nearly four decades at the newspaper, he was known for his sharp wit, strong work ethic and attention to detail.

He was a columnist, sports editor, copy editor and page designer at various times throughout his career. He worked primarily in sports, which was one of his passions.
    --Staff report

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Who is the new sports editor?

7. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Yikes. What's the proper grace period for posting a deceased employee's job? I'm asking because I have no idea, and my first reaction was to find this a bit tacky.

8. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Well, that's a good question, but most of the time, employers get at least a two-week notice. Obviously, they didn't get any notice, so I'm sure they have to move even faster, tacky or not.

9. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

Brad Zimanek is the SE there.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

damn! my thoughts go out to the family.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Walt, it may be tacky but life does go on. The paper is still going to publish. It's cold but it is what it is. There's really no way to sugar coat reality.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Remember that when you go...

Draft saved Draft deleted