1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer/copy editor, Durham, N.C. (DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

McClatchy, for the most part.

Personally, I have no complaints with Lee, but I work at one of their biggest papers. Things may be different further down the chain.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

At one point, I had heard that Lee had some sort of ranch in Wyoming (or somewhere, forget exactly) that employees could go to free of charge. Of course, they had to pay their own way there.

Is that still true?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's true. Lee Lodge is in Polson, Mont.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Montana. And it's only for non-union folk. Sorry, P-D.

Also, you have to apply for it, and there is competition to stay there.

I worked at a smaller Lee paper for eight months. Health insurance premiums sucked. I left for a gig where my premium went down by about $10 per week, and I got way more covered. (I had the top-shelf health plan at Lee and a middling-range health plan at the next stop.)

My time at Lee is stilted by the fact that I was working at a shop that just had been bought by Lee, and there were massive changes going on at the top of the newsroom.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Apparently, I just found out, you now have to pay taxes on a stay there (as a benefit). It'll cost around $200.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I've heard good things about McClatchy and Lee too. I'm at an NYT shop and they treat us pretty good.

7. Writer33

Writer33 Member

I speak from experience as well. I'm currently at a Paxton paper and am in my 5th year. I've never spent one minute concerned for my job. Additionally, we have never had any direction from the corporate level as to editorial content. The money is not the best in the business, but they stay out of the newsroom and let us do our jobs. BTW, saw a thread where there were a number of complaints about a lack of Christmas bonuses. Paxton doesn't call it a bonus, but I received my annual profit sharing check yesterday. It was nice. Obviously you had a bad experience with Paxton, but I haven't.

8. I can also vouch for bad experience at a Paxton newspaper, too... and it stinks.

9. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

I might be wrong, BUT.... Could it be the specific newspaper/publisher and not the company? My shop is treated very well in respect to the rest of our chain because it's considered the flagship.... Couldn't certain newspapers within a chain be treated better than others?

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No. Paxton blew up a paper less than 24 hours after acquiring it in Indiana. There's certainly a pattern with their transactions.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You might be correct in regards to other newspaper chains, but not with Paxton.

Paxton has a well-established track record of horrible business transactions.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Make no mistake, Paxton is to blame for the dropoff in Durham.

There were good people in Durham before it took over there and there are some good people there now, they're just having to work their asses off to try to approach the previous level of coverage because of depleted resources. Space is tight and and people are stretched thin. I know it's like that in a lot of places, but it seems to be worse there.

Since the layoffs, some very good people have chosen to leave. In a couple of cases, they left for jobs outside of the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted