1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer/copy editor, Durham, N.C. (DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I thought CNHI was the JRC of the South.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

CNHI, Heartland and Paxton are in a tight three-way race for that "crown."

Heartland has a comically long job posting for numerous positions on the North Carolina Press Association website (www.ncpress.com). Keep in mind that Heartland is the same bunch of ignorant souls that dumped people en masse in Mount Airy - so many, in fact, that the publisher walked out with them in protest.

Newspaper Professionals (posted 12/07/07)
    Expanding! Several newspaper positions are available immediately. Heartland Publications, Inc is a newspaper, internet and sales and marketing firm. Our company has a high success rate of turning motivated individuals into successful leaders. We are seeking experienced newspaper professionals that would like to take their drive and apply it towards a successful career in North Carolina. We develop our own managers, rather than hiring people strictly based on their degree or experience. Our field of expertise is acquisition and growth of newspaper companies. To accomplish this we need people that are able to communicate with their customers and coworkers in an effective manner while helping to operate and grow our companies. You must be able to provide the human interaction our clients and employees need to be successful. We currently are expanding and have several employment opportunities in North Carolina in the following positions: General Managers, Editors, Sports Editors, Reporters, Graphics Designers, Advertising Managers, Outside Advertising Salespeople, Inside Advertising Salespeople, Internet Advertising Salespeople, Circulation Managers, District Managers, Production Managers, Goss Press operators,
    Goss Press Supervisors, KANSA Operators, Mailroom Managers,Successful candidates must be: Team Oriented, Aggressive, Positive Attitude, Goal Oriented, Results Driven. Employees with a proven track record will have the opportunity to earn an above average income and participate in our health, vacation, and retirement programs. Qualified candidates will have the opportunity to help us manage and run one of our publications. Email your resume to jcraig@heartlandpublications.com or mail your resume to Joseph Craig, PO BOX 1028, Lumberton NC 28359. This is a great opportunity for you to join a growing company. Our publications are located mostly in Micropolitan markets adjoining larger Metropolitan communities like Charlotte, Raleigh, and Fayetteville. This translates to small town living with big town amenities only a short drive away.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

About a year after the Paxton takeover in Durham they started running ads for the Herald-Sun on the radio, insinuating that the N&O was the big-bad corporate paper in the area and it didn't really care about the community of Durham the way the Herald-Sun did.

I think most people in the area saw through that bullshit.

4. Sam Mills 51

That was so pathetic, one had to laugh to keep from crying.

Paxton was - and is - the "big-bad corporate" paper. Going against McClatchy here was both a colossal waste of the money Paxton thinks it can make hand over fist by running the Herald-Sun entirely too lean and plain dumb.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.thescoreboards.com/forums/carolina-hurricanes/52355-canes-get-new-beat-writer.html">
    This thread on a Carolina Hurricanes fan board starts out talking about the N&O switching the No. 2 Canes beat writer. But they fans eventually show their "love" for the Herald-Sun.</a>

6. Sam Mills 51

I fully understand the venom of the Whalercanes fans with the Herald-Sun. But Mike Potter, who has been working the Hurricanes beat along with so many others - in case you hadn't heard, Paxton slashed a lot of jobs in Durham - deserves exactly none of the venom. During the 2002 run to the Stanley Cup finals, the N&O was sending staffers by the bunch to the games and such. Mike was going it alone for Durham.

If only the Whalercanes fans on that board really knew.

Lorenzo Perez was moved to the metro desk. Obviously, the move to backup Whalercanes beat writer is a promotion for Rachel Carter. I've seen her work ... and she's capable of growing into the position.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

No, it's not his fault if he's covering few Canes games because he has to cover the Durham Bulls, N.C. Central and high school games. In fact, some posters on that fan board has praise for him. In 2002 the paper did send two or three writers and the columnist to home games during the Canes run, but that was before the Paxton Error.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Doc, yeah CNHI is bad but Paxton is giving them a run for the money.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I've said it before, but I'll repeat it here. Paxton is almost as bad as JRC (maybe just as bad).

10. Wow. I had no idea people thought this poorly of Paxton. The numbers on the circulation drops in Durham are just downright staggering. They've lost 15,000 subscribers on Sunday and 11,000 on weekdays in just four years. That's a decline of 27.3 percent in subscribers for Sunday and 23.1 percent on weekdays in just FOUR YEARS.

Man, when you think about those declining numbers, it's really scary. Those papers won't be around in 10-20 years if they even come close to continuing that kind of trend.

I think I'll pass. Just thought the area was a great place to live. Oh well.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It is a great area. But Paxton is just plain bad.

12. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

What chains are good to work for? I hear nothing but bad things about seemingly every chain... Are there any good ones?

Draft saved Draft deleted