1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer/copy editor, Durham, N.C. (DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Who's going to cover UNC?

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Chapel Hill's too far away. Just going to use press releases from UNC.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Jack Daly, who was covering non-revenue sports and N.C. State. He covered UNC's game at Ohio State on Wednesday.

4. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Anyone have anything good to say about this paper?

5. Hiro

Hiro Member

I'd be happy to pass along info about the paper and position to anyone interested. PM me, please.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This is a Paxton paper. Enough said.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The paper itself (and the people who work there) are probably ok, but it's a Paxton paper.

You take the job and you never know from day to day whether it's your last with the company.

8. Tarheel316

Hank, you are exactly right.

9. Very true, indeed, Hank. Paxton's butcher methods are known far and wide.

10. Tarheel316

All of our sarcasm is warranted. In all honesty, if you take a Paxton gig, you will always live in fear of being laid off at any time.

11. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

More proof ...
    http://www.post-trib.com/business/640812,lppaper.article

These Paxton scum represent some of the most evil people in our business. Not only do they seem to enjoy firing people, but they severely worsen the product and force conservative editorial bias. Seriously, I wouldn't go to Durham unless I had NO other option, which sucks because I love the area and used to really want to work at this paper.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I think we talked about the Laporte situation a little bit on another thread, but don't know for sure.

Couple things bear repeating tho.

When they cut 30-40 jobs after buying Laporte, they were told not to put anything about cutbacks in print.

And Laporte's wire editor was notified of her termination by certified letter while on medical leave.

Julie Kessler, 60, the Herald-Argus' former wire editor and an employee at the paper for 22 years, was informed via certified mail that she had been terminated. She had been out on sick leave since August after undergoing back surgery.

Kessler said employees at the paper had falsely been given assurances the sale would affect little regarding the Herald-Argus' production and staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted