1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer/copy editor, Casper, Wyoming

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sportschick, Feb 11, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=882243

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Company: Casper Star-Tribune
    Position:
    Versatile Sports Journalist
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    March 17, 2008
    Job ID: 882243

Description:
    Wyoming's leading newspaper is looking for a versatile, motivated sports journalist to complete a talented staff.

Few newspapers our size offer the growth opportunities you'll find at the Casper Star-Tribune. Our 30,000-circulation daily newspaper, augmented by the award-winning trib.com, is Wyoming’s biggest media voice. That means lots of challenges and opportunities for ambitious journalists. Our readers expect hometown journalism with metro-quality prose and creative presentation, and we aim to deliver.

We just won the Wyoming Press Association’s general excellence trophy for the third consecutive year. We also were honored recently by our parent company for excellence in news and innovation. Our sports section has been a frequent winner of APSE awards. Contrary to some people’s impressions about the newspaper industry, our paper is flourishing and growing as a vital community institution and an engine of local commerce. We think this is an exciting time to be in the business, and we have aggressive ideas about printed and multimedia content.

This job will focus heavily on designing pages and presenting sports news in exciting ways, though some writing assignments will be involved as well. You'll need a bachelor's degree, excellent verbal skills, a willingness to continually improve, and strong attention to detail. Quark experience will set you apart from other candidates.

We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement, employee stock purchase plan, paid holidays and vacation. We are an equal opportunity employer. When you’re not at work, you’ll live and play amid Wyoming’s outdoor splendor: downhill and cross-country skiing, hiking, mountain biking, whitewater, hunting, fishing – you name it!

You can see our Web site at www.trib.com. Learn about our parent company at www.lee.net.

We’re eager to fill this position now, but we might wait for the right spring graduate. Apply online at www.apply-to.com/Job3309405. Then send your design and writing samples, and a list of references by March 1 to:

Jack Nowlin Sports Editor Casper Star-Tribune P.O. Box 80, Casper WY 82602

3. dkbxt5

dkbxt5 New Member

I work at the Star-Tribune. Feel free to PM me or post questions here if you have any.

4. azom

azom Member

This job was opened up when we filled our sports editor spot internally with Jack. This job will be a designer-first type of job -- I'm guessing you will probably slot the section 4-5 times a week, with writing opportunities as you can fit them in between design duties. We work with Quark XPress right now, but we've been plotting a switch to Adobe InDesign for the past couple years.

PM me if you need any more specifics.

5. azom

azom Member

FWIW, this position was not filled. It will not be filled. The position has been cut, at least for 2008. It might be re-opened later. Maybe.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, we get it: more with less.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, sorry to hear that.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Considering this is Cheney's hometown ...

Halliburton's hiring!

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bruce springsteen just cringed.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Do Cheney's hunting exploits go on the sports page?

11. dkbxt5

dkbxt5 New Member

I've only been at the CST for a few months, but I think Cheney's exploits go on the front or in the outdoors section, unless it happens at Cheney Alumni Field.

Draft saved Draft deleted