1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Departments Lacking Diversity (report)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Billy Monday, Jun 23, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Grizz: Let me really carefully ask something.

Is that kind of concern about how you're going to assimilate into the community, and whether you'd be happy living there, EVER appropriate for a prospective employer? If a town is .5 percent minority population, is that a relevant factor? Or should they just leave that up to you?

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

For me, it's never a factor. Maybe for others. But when anyone applies for a job, they should have a basic understanding of the community and the newspaper they're applying to. Plus, i think there are possible legal ramifications from just asking that sort of question.
    That was the only time anyone's ever asked that sort of question of me.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That's not usually all that realistic at small papers. I know that for some of the openings at my old paper the SE contacted people he already knew of and usually they weren't interested for one reason or another, usually because they already had a comparable job or didn't want to move.

Draft saved Draft deleted