1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Editors, San Antonio Express-News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Date posted: 9/13/2006 (on the APSE job site)
    Newspaper: San Antonio Express-News
    Job listing: Copy Editors
    Contact
    (e-mail): Steve Quintana, Sports Editor
    squintana@express-news.net
    Information: The San Antonio Express-News, the largest newspaper in South Texas (Sunday circulation 340,000) is hiring experienced, capable copy editors to work on its 12-person Sports copy desk.

The Spurs and the NBA are huge in this market, but we also cover Big 12 football, basketball and baseball, as well as the Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans. And we report aggressively on high school sports, as well as the WNBA, minor league baseball, boxing, the Olympics and big events that regularly come through San Antonio, like the Final Four and the X Games.

San Antonio is the second largest city in Texas with a population of 1.3 million people.

The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform in this job successfully:

1, Bachelors of journalism degree or equivalent preferred.

2, Knowledge of libel law.

3, Minimum two years of experience at a major metro daily newspaper.

4, Pagination experience required.

5, Ability to edit staff and wire stories for grammar, style, fairness, balance and accuracy.

6, Ability to write informative, smart headlines and cutlines.

7, Knowledge of word processing, pagination and/or typesetting computer systems.

8, Must be deadline oriented.

9, Requires work on weekends, nights and holidays.

10, Ability to react to change productively.

Send resume to:
    squintana@express-news.net

Please include in the subject line: Copy editor job.

You may fax your resume to (210) 250-3351 or mail to:

The San Antonio Express-News
    Attn: Steve Quintana / Sports
    P.O Box 2171
    San Antonio, TX 78297-2171

The Express-News is a drug-free, smoke-free workplace. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.

2. zman82

zman82 Member

wasn't this posted a month or soago on APSE? new opening or previous hire didn't work out? just curious.

3. boots

boots New Member

Good paper. Good chain. Good people to work with. Stay out of the crosshairs of management and you'll be fine.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They set some pretty high standards with their job requirements. Maybe they haven't found anyone who made the cut yet. Not many folks are going to leave a "major metro daily" to go to SA unless a) they're from there, or b) they have no choice.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Isn't that a good thing to have when you work at a newspaper?

6. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Town's pretty much a one-trick pony (Spurs), but it's a good sports section with good people. Steve Quintana and Al Carter, the ASE, are good folks.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not necessarily true. A guy I worked with on the desk of a major metro left to go to SA a few years ago because they gave him significantly more money. Apparently, they can match or beat some of the big boys where it counts -- in the checkbook.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

How does San Antonio's high school football stack up against other places in the state?

9. I'm
    I'm not as in touch with prep football in good ole' San Antone, but I know Judson H.S. used to be a state power, as was Clark H.S. Priest Holmes went to Marshall, and I know there was a major Notre Dame flameout who was a big star down there. Also, I believe the Detmer boys also played there (South San Antonio H.S.).

10. zman82

zman82 Member

major ND flameout from SAtown...carlyle holiday. he was good at roosevelt, however.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Decent paper, many good people, lots of love for the Spurs and preps. Trying a bunch of things with the Web site, which I'm told copy editors help maintain.

Draft saved Draft deleted