1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Editor/USA TODAY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by qantas25, Nov 7, 2011.

1. qantas25

qantas25 New Member

USA TODAY has an opening on its sports copy desking. Listing should be up soon.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Interesting, I didn't think they were hiring anyone there. Any details?

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I have heard quite the opposite, wicked. I don't know any details about this or future openings, but I've heard rumblings that the hiring of Dave Morgan was a prelude to a mini-expansion and that there could be openings in the next six months. With that said, my guess is anyone hiring a copy editor is probably doing so to replace a copy editor. That's been my experience. Whether it was a promotion, retirement or firing, I don't know.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'd heard that almost no one was being hired in the newsroom, but that was before the Morgan announcement.

5. qantas25

qantas25 New Member

There have been hires at USA Today Sports in the last 6 months -- at least six of them-- all before Morgan. There are supposed to be more newsroom positions created in the coming months. The copy editor opening is because of a retirement. There were no furloughs or layoffs at USAT this past year.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You might be confusing USA Today Sports with USA Today. The two have been broken apart financially, which, to my understanding, is expected to be a boon for Sports.

7. qantas25

qantas25 New Member

You are correct versatile. The Sports venture has the full backing (in spirit and dollars) of the new CEO. Believe it was her idea.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Gotta believe Dave Morgan isn't going in there without a lot of assurances in terms of money and resources.

9. CNY

CNY Member

Here's the posting:

http://www.jobs.net/jobs/gannett/job/copy-editor-sports/J8D70Y6WYPWKKQND8R2/

10. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

The official posting says to email your resume to Production Editor Matt Cimento, but no address was included. Anybody have an email address for Matt? You can PM it to me if you want.

11. qantas25

qantas25 New Member

His email is mcimento@usatoday.com

12. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted