1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, USA Today

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by PEteacher, Jun 16, 2006.

1. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

http://www.gannett.com/job/jobs/news.htm

McLean, Va.: (For USA TODAY) Must be an aggressive editor with strong spelling, style, grammar and fact-checking abilities as well as being able to write creative headlines and captions. Candidate must work well on event-deadline copy. Job includes night hours and a Sunday through Thursday workweek. Candidate should have a good working knowledge of sports. At least three years’ experience at a midsize or larger newspaper is preferred. College degree preferred. Apply to Marsha Clark News

2. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

This is one of the highest profile jobs out there. I'm surprised no one's responding. If I had nearly the qualifications, I'd apply in a heartbeat.

3. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

I suspect the reason no one's responding is the anonymous nature of copy editors. If this were a writing position at USAT, say, Malcolm Moran's old job, folks could toss out a number of potential candidates whose bylines appear in other publications. Folks could also talk about the specifics of the job (hoops, football, baseball, etc.) and prominent subjects on the beat.

It's much harder to talk about desk jockeys because many of us don't know their names (even in our own shops). And we can't talk about copyediting "beats" like writing beats because there's not enough meat.

But I agree this is a great job for a sports copy editor.

4. somewriter

somewriter Member

And the more an opening is talked about, the more potential competition interested parties could have.

Draft saved Draft deleted