1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Tulsa World

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bachelor's degree plus two years of daily newspaper experience or equivalent. Must be computer literate and prefer InDesign experience. Looking for someone able to work with web technologies to blend text, graphics and sound as well as producing quality print pages. Must have good news judgment, able to balance many tasks at once, and able to produce on deadline. Will be responsible for editing sports stories and use computerized pagination system to design and build pages. Must be able to work nights and weekends, general hours 4:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. Interested applicants may apply by sending resume with salary history to: hr@tulsaworld.com or sending to TULSA WORLD, 315 S. Boulder Avenue, Tulsa, OK 74103 or faxing to: (918) 584-8966.

2. thebigd

thebigd Member

Wasn't this just open recently?

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

In April I believe.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

April: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/68510/

And reposted in May: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/56086/

5. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

fantastic paper for its size. tulsa is a cool city, too.

last i remember the desk in tulsa is well-staffed ... about eight full-timers (designers and copy editors) on the desk.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

You guys beat me to posting this. If anyone has any questions, send me a message and I'll answer as honestly as I can, and I'm a pretty honest guy.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

And chase is right, eight full-timers and a part-timer, nine full-time if you count me, though my duties have shifted some lately and I don't spend as much time on the night desk as I used to.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So they've posted two job openings after they cut a copy editing job in layoffs last year?
    Talk about poor planning.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I don't know about Tulsa's economy, but it might have rebounded a bit. More and more papers are saying they're in the black (ya, how they GOT there is a whole other story) and Tulsa might be one of them.

10. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

tulsa is definitely in the "good-looking" side of oklahoma. they work hard to create a product that showcases a lot more than their current circulation (around 100,000, I think?).

you're about an hour and a half from oklahoma city, which has a decent downtown and the thunder.

and if tulsa gets the 2020 olympics, well, you're set. :)

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Provided there's still a newspaper.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I should've read this thread more closely last night when I posted. One of those openings that 2much posted above came from May 2008, not May of this year. We had an opening in April, which came because one of our copy editors, Sarah Hart, left the sports department and was promoted to assistant Scene editor. We've had some changes on our desk since the first of the year, but we're in pretty good shape right now. I can't say there won't be any other changes, but right now I feel really comfortable with the state of our paper.

Again, if anyone has any questions, send me a message, or ask them here.

Draft saved Draft deleted