1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Editor- Tulsa, OK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1485185

Company: Tulsa World
    Position:
    Copy Editor / Sports Slot
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    February 25, 2014
    Job ID: 1485185

Description:

The Tulsa World has served Northeastern Oklahoma since 1905; currently there is an opening for a Copy Editor in the Sports Slot position. Duties will include building, designing, editing, proofing, writing headlines, and choosing appropriate illustrations. This position also includes posting the latest sports news and photos to tulsaworld.com. Required experience of at least three years of daily newspaper experience or equivalent is necessary. Education required is a Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university. Sports knowledge is a plus. This position shift is for nights and weekends with general hours of 4:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.

A successful applicant will be well-versed in AP style, basic grammar and editing skills. Computer skills include: Adobe Creative Suites, InCopy, InDesign, and have experience with a pagination system. The Tulsa World is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pre-Employment Drug Screening is required. We utilize E-Verify. Tulsa World is part of BH Media Group, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Company. We offer a competitive salary with benefits to include a 401(k) plan, medical, dental, and vision plans and more.

To apply, please send cover letter, resume and editing, page-design and headline-writing samples to hr@tulsaworld.com or by fax (918) 581-7330, or mail items to 315 S. Boulder Ave. Tulsa OK 74103. No phone calls please.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

If anyone has any questions on Tulsa or this opening, shoot them my way or post below. I'll answer to the best of my ability. The opening came about because one of our copy editors is moving to our web staff.

And, to clarify a couple of things:

1) We run a universal desk, so versatility is good. But we could really use someone with strong sports knowledge.

2) While the ad calls for page samples, that won't be a big part of the job. You'd likely only do inside pages. Our designers handle our section fronts.

3. NickMathews

NickMathews New Member

I do not know much about Tulsa, but I would highly recommend working with sports editor Michael Peters. He has one of the most creative minds of anyone I've ever worked with and he will let you do a lot of very fun things.

Draft saved Draft deleted