1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Editor, Tulsa, OK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I really don't know what to make of this. It's been posted before numerous times.
    The Tulsa World is looking for a Sports Copy Editor with newspaper layout design experience. Position requires skills in copy editing and newspaper page design. The qualified individual must have a college degree, be able to produce on deadline, and must possess excellent written and oral communication skills. This position will require working nights (4:30 p.m. - 12:30 a.m.) and weekends. Prefer previous daily newspaper experience. Interested candidates should submit design samples and resume to: hr@tulsaworld.com or fax to (918) 584-8966 or by mail to: TULSA WORLD, Human Resources, PO Box 1770, Tulsa, OK 74102.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I'm with ya there, given that I'm a Tulsa native, my dad sends me this "new" posting every few weeks.

3. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Strange to me. Tulsa's a nice place and the paper plays much bigger than it is. One of the better regional papers around, in my opinion.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Wish I had known this was posted already. I have to deal with these questions every time an opening goes up.

Basically, almost every opening we've had in the last few years has been because of someone either getting promoted or leaving the newspaper business for personal reasons. This opening came because one of our editors, Brandi Ball, has taken a job as a writer on our Scene desk. Currently, we have nine full-time employees on the desk; eight of them have been there long term (including Brandi, who was a part-timer and worked up to full-time). If someone wants a run-down of all the jobs and why the openings came about, I'd be glad to fill you in.

If anyone has any questions, let me know. I'll be happy to answer, either thought PMs or just on here if you think everyone will be interested.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

A lot of guys have been with the World since I wad in middle school, some longer.

Mike Strain still running things?

6. ericwbolin

ericwbolin New Member

Said it before, I'll say it again. Great folks at this paper. If I were a desk man, I'd be all over this (might be anyway).

Yep, Strain's still in charge. James and Patrick Prince are assistants. Tremendous group, easy to work with.

Plus, you'll get to edit my copy (freelance) on occasion. Though, I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Thanks for the endorsement, Eric.

Like Mr. Bolin, one of our best correspondents, said, Strain's still in charge. He's great to work with. I've learned a ton from him in my five years here. He does a good balance of managing things without micromanaging. And he's not a slave driver. I really think if you're willing to learn from him, there's a lot to learn.

Draft saved Draft deleted