1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Editor, The Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Taylor, Jul 10, 2009.

1. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

The Washington Times, a daily newspaper in Washington, D.C., seeks a sports copy editor with strong words skills and a keen eye for detail. Candidates should have experience at a daily newspaper and be able to work on tight deadlines and adjust to breaking news. Knowledge of QuarkXpress is a plus.

Working nights and weekends is required. The candidate should have a passion for sports and work well with others.

Our coverage area includes a variety of Division I colleges and professional teams, including the Redskins, Nationals, Capitals, Wizards and D.C. United.

If you're interested, please submit cover letter, resume and examples of your work to:

Mark Hartsell (mhartsell@washingtontimes.com)
    Assistant Managing Editor/Sports
    The Washington Times
    3600 New York Ave. NE
    Washington, D.C., 20002

2. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

I preface this by saying I'm a westerner... what is the cost of living like in the D.C/northern Virginia area? I'd assume it's higher than Salt Lake, Denver or Phoenix...

3. tdonegan

tdonegan Member

It really depends. The Times are based out of Northeast D.C. which isn't as nice as Northwest but it's cheaper to live in. It's also pretty easy to commute in and out of Northeast from suburban Maryland (even without a car, it's a very nice metro system), but there are some areas around there that aren't nice.

In NW you're paying 1500/month for a studio, elsewhere in the city you can get a place for half that, but I'm not sure what they're offering for this job.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Since my post in Korean was deleted, we'll pose this question in English. The Times has earned a spot as being a legit paper. However, I question why there seems to be an opening for a copy editor or designer every six months ?

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Who's leaving?

6. VJ

VJ Member

Because we're one of the few places hiring when someone leaves.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Which is beautiful that you are making hires. But again, every eix months or so? Is there a reason why people aren't staying at The Times?

8. VJ

VJ Member

The last few people who have left (all were here more than a year) have gone to the Washington Post, Sun-Sentinel and a higher education publication.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Thanks for clearing it up.

10. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

How much of this is design and how much is editing? How many are on the sports desk and how are the duties split up on a typical evening (if there is such a thing)?

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Some damn talented editors, designers and writers on staff at the WaTimes. I'd shoot off my resume in a heartbeat if I were in any way interested in rejoining the newspaper biz.

Gotta imagine they'll get a boat-load of resumes for this one. Good luck to all.

12. VJ

VJ Member

Primarily editing, but having Quark and layout experience is a plus since a handful of our desk guys do pages one or two nights a week and rim the rest.

We've got a desk staff of about 10, and most shifts are either pages or rim with very few pages/rim shifts mixed in if we're short because of vacation or whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted