1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Editor, The Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Taylor, Aug 14, 2008.

1. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

The Washington Times, a 100,000 circulation paper in our nation's capital, is looking for a sports copy editor with strong words skills and a keen eye for detail. Candidates should have experience at a daily newspaper and be able to work on tight deadlines and adjust to breaking news. Knowledge of QuarkXpress is a plus.

Working nights and weekends is required. The candidates should have a passion for sports and work well with others.

Our coverage area includes a variety of Division I colleges and professional teams, including the Redskins, Nationals, Capitals, Wizards and D.C. United.

If you're interested, please submit cover letter, resume and examples of your work to:

Mark Hartsell (mhartsell@washingtontimes.com)
    Assistant Managing Editor/Sports
    The Washington Times
    3600 New York Ave. NE
    Washington, D.C., 20002

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Those designer openings get filled?

3. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Why yes! We just got official word that we've hired Rob Backus, late of the Journal Star in Lincoln, Neb., as a sports page designer.

Of course, as soon as this was starting to firm up, one of our copy editors put in their notice, thus the new opening.

Any other questions, let me know.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good deal, good get. Familiar with Rob's work. He was on a short list of mine before I short listed myself.

5. I interviewed, and after a very stressful and painful process, ultimately turned down a page design job with The Times here recently. But my experience with Mark Hartsell, John Taylor and Harrison Goodman was fantastic. Three very awesome, kind and professional guys who take their jobs very seriously and are doing a great job with that section. Because of them, I visit the Web site every day.

They flew me out there, put me in a sweet hotel, Mark picked me up at the hotel, they took me out to a great lunch and the interview process was great. Had they called me just about two months sooner, I would have taken the job as soon as they offered it.

I definitely recommend pursuing this opportunity. They operate like a much bigger paper than they are, and you can't go wrong working with these guys.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What's the Times' financial situation look like? In other words, if you take that job, how likely is it they'll be trying to downsize their work force in six months?

7. david kaye

david kaye Member

Great hire. Rob is fantastic.

8. What I was told in the time I was there was that they were done with cuts in the newsroom. The Times is pouring a ton of money into their online force, electronic edition, new magazines and other stuff.

This job will pay pretty solid, too.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Rob is incredibly talented. Good to see him land some place better.

10. john, how quickly are you guys looking to move on this one?

11. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Considering the time of year (NFL, College Football, Pro training camps starting soon), sooner than later for sure; we can't really afford to go another man down on the desk.

We already have some good resumes in and would love to see a few more; we have not scheduled any interviews yet.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And yet one of the guys they let go was arguably their most talented multimedia content producer.

ETA: This person was not in the sports department.

Define "pretty solid," too, because paying well is not something I thought the Times was known for.

Draft saved Draft deleted