1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, The Palm Beach Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dave Tepps, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Wait . . . I thought Tampa was considered "South Florida"?
    ;D :D ;D :D

2. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

No, we call that the Gulf. South Florida is the big three, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm.

Lived in WP breifly last year. Nice place. Recommend Boynton Beach should any of you get this position. It's 20 minutes from WP and a bit cheaper and nice.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I've done work for these folks in the past. They're good people. They have strong editors there, and it shows in their content. I've never visited the Palm Beach area, but I'm sure there's crime. There's sunshine, too. It's a trade-off. Some people are willing to sacrifice for the nice weather and such. Plus, don't forget that this is a huge opportunity for folks in most markets.

4. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

I'll add my two cents — one of the strongest desks in the country, and it's refreshing because the people actually give a crap about what the section looks like the next morning. Highly recommended. Dave and Nick are both good people.

5. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Gotta speak up for SoFla here. Like I tell my mom, they are carrying me outta here in a box. But an above writer is correct ... it's all about taste.

I live in the Lauderdale area, and it'll be two years next week. I commute up 95, and the drive doesn't suck. Get to work before traffic gets backed up, and there's no one in my way after midnight. Yes, housing prices are high (prop taxes and insurance play a big role, but there's a glut on the market and prices are starting to ease), there is crime and some of it is terrible (especially in certain areas of SoFla ... so avoid them), it's hot in the summer (don't move here if you can't stand the heat and humidity). And the threat of hurricanes is real ... Wilma wasn't fun.

That said, the plusses of being here outweigh all of that (golf and softball year-round; only ice I see now is in my daily cocktail; beach beach and more beach; a social life that I can't possibly keep pace with, but will try; January-March aren't as dismal as Michigan; Key West is a 3-hour drive with SoBe less than an hour away). Plus, the Post is an excellent environment in which to work.

So pick your poison. You can do much, much worse than this job. MUCH

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Yes, but you're a Michigan fan. So you have no credibility.

Sincerely,

Diehard, ahem, Illini fan

7. Thinking Man

Thinking Man Member

Admit it Blue, you miss: the continuous cloud that hangs over Michigan from October - April, the January days where high temps actually get into the teens, golfing at Hudson Mills, having a round or two at the Arena, Big Ed, Little Stevie in the slot, the incredible nightlife of downtown Detroit, ballgames at the CoPa, running into angry Canadians, the wonderful Michigan roads, the Big 3, our week of Spring in mid-May, those wonderfully "crisp" fall evenings, etc... How the hell can you stay in Florida and miss all that?

8. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Thinking man, you are right. I do miss fall for about 10 minutes every season (actually, that's not completely true ... I think I'll always miss September and October in Michigan, especially football Satrudays. But you can keep the other three seasons).

And Ed? Geez, I so wish I was working under his rule again. How I miss the days of the dark Lord. ROFL

Of course, now that I've seen real newspaper management, I wonder what kinda blackmail Ed must be holding over the Newhouse family to keep his job. Kinda reminds me of Matt Millen and what he must have on the Ford family. LOL

9. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Shameless bump.

Anything going on here?

10. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Yes, but I can't say. LOL

Good luck with the interview, LS

Draft saved Draft deleted