1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, The Arizona Republic

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by paulbarrett, Mar 4, 2011.

1. paulbarrett

paulbarrett Member

The Arizona Republic is looking to fill a sports copy-editing position. Specifically, we're seeking a competent editor who writes strong headlines, is detail-oriented and regularly makes deadline. Having the sports knowledge that's necessary for our always-busy market is a must. At least three years of copy-editing experience is preferred.

Arizona has all four major pro sports, two major universities, two NASCAR races, two PGA Tour events and hosts several major events a year (such as this year's MLB All-Star Game). We also cover high school and community sports extensively.

Please be aware that there will be no writing involved.

If you'd like to be considered for the position, please send me your resume. Thanks.

Paul Barrett
    Night Sports Editor
    The Arizona Republic
    200 E. Van Buren
    Phoenix, AZ. 85004
    paul.barrett@arizonarepublic.com

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Thumbs up from this neck of the woods.

3. dm19

dm19 Member

One thing that's great about Phoenix right now... if you can find a job where you make some bucks, you can get a cheap foreclosed-on house for probably 40% or less of what the previous owner paid. The valley was hit hard by the recession.

4. CNY

CNY Member

The American Copy Editors Society's annual conference is in Phoenix in a couple of weeks. Could be a lot of potential candidates in town.

5. What do you think is the pay range for this?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's a Gannett paper, and it's been documented many times on this site about their layoffs. Whoever gets the job better rent than buy.

7. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Phoenix, however, is a design hub (and potential copy editing hub), so you would think that makes this safer than other spots. If I were a Gannett desker in another city, I'd look into it. Many think it's a matter of months before hubs perform all design/copy editing functions. I'm not sold. I think it can work at smaller papers but not at the major metros. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that stuff anymore.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm just going off what other Gannett papers of similar (but smaller, seeing as USA TODAY is the only bigger paper) pay, and I'd guess $38K for entry level, as high as $55K for a veteran. I'd also guess they're not going to hire a 20-year veteran who is asking for that kind of salary unless it's an internal candidate (internal meaning either Republic or Gannett in general).

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That's the great thing about Phoenix. Plenty of rentals available.

10. CW89

CW89 New Member

Anyone know if this gig has been filled?

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Don't know if it's been filled, but kudos to Paul and the crew at the Republic.

Just spent a week in the Valley visiting the family and the sports section looked good every day. MLB 2011 preview in last Sunday's edition was great content and layout.

12. JR119

JR119 Member

Any update on this?

Has the position been filled? Are interviews going on?

Draft saved Draft deleted