1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Tallahassee, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Sunshine Scooter, Dec 27, 2007.

1. One of two jobs open. From jj.com

Openings for copy editors on combined news and sports desks, one with a particular emphasis on sports in Florida's state capital city and home to two major universities: Florida State and Florida A&M. We have just installed a state-of-the-art news system, using InDesign. Successful candidates must be comfortable in working in high-pace, innovative workplace. Please submitted your resume and a cover letter to bgabordi@tallahassee.com.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=867061

2. I would like to recommend this job to someone, but I don't know diddly about Tallahassee. Although for a college town/state capital, $30-35K seems on the low end. Anybody know anything, like whether it's a design or copy editing job, or both?

3. All I know is that Jim Lamar is one of the nice guys in the business. As for the paper, I don't know.

4. Greatescape

Greatescape New Member

Stay away ... stay far, far away. The paper has gone in the crapper since Gannett took over and the editor is someone you'll never want to work for. As for the sports section, if you like a rah-rah tone, and lots and lots of space devoted to youth baseball, then it's the hell hole you deserve.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

6. Thanks, Great. I'll pass along your comments, with the suggestion that he keep looking.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Unanimity, SportsJournalists.com-style.

8. Greatescape

Greatescape New Member

I wasn't referring to Jim in terms of the editor from hell. I was referring to the editor of the paper from whom you would receive constant meddling and veiled threats when things weren't done to his satisfaction. Jim's an OK sort, but he's rah-rah-rah for the home team.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Be prepared to write a lot of "NCAA investigation" headlines ...

Draft saved Draft deleted