1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Stars & Stripes

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wicked, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just trying to help.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I understand their offices are in the National Press Building. If that's the case, you wouldn't even want to consider driving in. Ever.

And you can live in the D.C. area on $35k -- if you have a roommate or a working spouse.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

They took a picture of my keyster for Stars & Stripes.

At least they told me it was for Stars & Stripes ...

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

But here's the deal, you get raises and chances for promotions on a yearly basis. How many of us these days can get that guaranteed? I would apply to this if I didn't have my roots entrenched here, just to get in the GS floor and start looking around in other parts of the government.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Great point, PR. Whoever gets this job is immediately in the system. LOTS of opportunity to advance. Maybe not at Stars & Stripes, but other places within the govt. Gotta be willing to stick it out with a shitty salary for a few years, though.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What about house buying? Is $35K enough to handle mortgage payments in that area?

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No.

Not even close.

Unless you have a significant other making decent cash. And by decent, I mean more than $35K.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Baron, if you're talking about cardboard, the mortgage will be fine. But seriously, housing in and around the District is outrageous.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's what I figured. Sounds like a good gig for a single person who doesn't have family obligations.

10. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

I was unaware this was a position with the Pony Express

11. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

If you want to drive less than an hour each way, you're not living in D.C. on 35K a year.

I was offered a job at 48K in D.C. a couple of years ago, and the extra thousand I would have been making a month would have gone straight to rent. You're not finding a decent place for less than $1,200-$1,500 a month in the city.

12. AllenCone

AllenCone New Member

The ad says $45,000 to $50,000. It is independent of the military--so I don't think it's based on military benefits.

Yeras ago the staffers worked in Germany.

Draft saved Draft deleted