1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Stars & Stripes

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wicked, Jul 6, 2010.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I've heard from folks that this is a good place to work.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=648217

Company: Stars and Stripes
    Position:
    Editor (Newspaper Copy)
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $45,000 to $50,000
    Ad Expires:
    August 5, 2010
    Job ID: 648217

Description:
    Stars and Stripes, the editorially independent daily newspaper serving members of the U.S. military community worldwide, is seeking a sports page layout copy editor in its Washington, D.C., office. This editor, who will report to the Assistant Managing Editor/Sports, will shape wire and staff stories, write engaging headlines and design dynamic pages. Daily newspaper experience is a must, and military knowledge is a plus. Website experience is preferred, as we are expanding our presence on the Internet. We’re looking for an All-Star with a team-first attitude. The salary range is $35-50,000. To apply for this position, please visit www.usajobs.gov Announcement Number NANAFAN100628.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Any idea what they cover from a sports perspective.

3. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Former co-worker is a sports copy editor there. He told me he loves it. Take that for what it's worth.

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Is this a GS job or is it civilian? If it's GS, then it's an amazing opportunity for anyone who wants to stay in this business but is terrified about losing their jobs.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I believe the USAjobs ad says it's a GS-4 gig, but I could be misreading it.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sounds good, but how far will $35-50K go in Washington or the surrounding area?

7. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

From my experience, reasonably far, actually. I mean, you're not going to be taking baths in caviar or making it rain somewhere up in Adams Morgan. But even at $35K, you can make it work if you live along the metro line on the Virginia or Maryland side, or if you're willing to get a roommate. At $50K, you could even live in the city if you do some decent apartment hunting.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If it's a GS-4 spot, the pay range is $30,456-$39,590, depending on experience. I'm guessing someone from another newspaper or whatever will start out at GS-4, step 1, which is the minimum salary. Good luck living in DC on that.

http://www.opm.gov/oca/10tables/html/dcb.asp

9. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Yeah, stepping down to $30,500 certainly would make it rather tough. For that salary, you'd either have to live in the extreme 'burbs or find 2-3 roommates somewhere in Arlington, I'd say.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I interviewed there about five years ago, but ultimately ended up staying where I was. It did seem like a decent job, though it didn't feel like there was a lot of growth potential. Not sure if they've changed their format, because I haven't looked at it in a long time, but when I interviewed their sports section was mostly wire copy. They had some stories written by staff at military bases around the world, covering competitions on the bases, etc. But nearly all of it was wire, the point being to provide military personnel and their families overseas with all the day's major U.S. sports news.

FWIW, when they offered me, it was the low end of the pay range, which you can manage on if you watch your pennies. You'll most likely want to use Metro to get to work, which saves wear and tear on your car, especially if you find a place close to a Metro station.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

This should help. Here are the various flavors of Ramen. As you can see, you can go 18 days without repeating a flavor. Enjoy.
    -Cajun Chicken
    -Smoked Ham
    -Mushroom
    -Chicken Mushroom
    -Just Lime Shrimp
    -Chicken Vegetable
    -Spicy Chili Chicken
    -California Vegetable
    -Salsa Picante Chicken
    -Roast Beef
    -Teriyaki Chicken
    -Picante Beef
    -Hearty Chicken
    -Shrimp Picante
    -Salsa Picante Chicken
    -Beef Tomato
    Hot & Spicy
    Teriyaki Chicken

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I knew before I clicked on the thread the post above mine would have something to do with Ramen.
    Amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted