1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Copy Editor / Reporter, Lincoln, Neb.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Waldo9939, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Anyone know anything about this? If so, what is the place, people, etc. like?

The Lincoln Journal Star, a 78,000-circulation daily located in the hub of Huskerland, is looking for a versatile staffer who will be able to design pages, edit stories and write. Yes, write. We're looking for design talent first and foremost – and most of the duties will be on the night sports desk – but if you can't shake the writing bug, you are welcome here. An interest in college football would be nice, but all sports enthusiasts with solid newspaper experience are welcome to apply. Please come prepared to talk about the Web. HuskerExtra.com is a huge part of what we do.
    Lincoln is the capital of Nebraska and is home to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (Go Huskers!). The Journal Star is a morning paper with a circulation of 78,000 daily and 84,000 Sunday. The paper is printed on a new state-of-the-art flexo press that has outstanding photographic reproduction. We emphasize local news with strong coverage of schools, sports and news in the 17-county region of Southeast Nebraska.
    To learn more about our company and benefits and to apply, please log onto:
    www.journalstar.com
    And click on employment.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Should we assume that any newspaper that would insert "Go Huskers" into a job listing would be a paper full of homers?

[​IMG]

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You could think that, but you'd be half right, at best. Most of the coverage there is pretty even-handed.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If that's true, then that's unfortunate. If I worked there, I wouldn't be happy that "Go Huskers" is inserted into that listing.

5. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Lincoln isn't the greatest place to live, but there's worse. Steve Sipple is a great reporter there, but there are indeed some homers (like almost everywhere).

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Design listed first = not a copy editor/reporter position.

7. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

get over it.

8. busuncle

busuncle Member

I'm embarrassed for Journal Star staff members after reading that ad.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Lee paper. Undoubtedly written by someone in HR, not sports. And yes, it's embarrassing.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm pretty sure that's done by someone elsewhere at the paper, certainly not in sports. The guys I know from the Journal-Star are nothing but objective.

11. WSKY

WSKY Member

I like homer papers!

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know a couple, and yes, they're pretty objective. Lincoln's a nice town, definitely not the worst place to live. And from the people I know there, I don't hear any complaints about the job or the people there.

Draft saved Draft deleted