1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor, Quincy, Ill.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dob23, Nov 2, 2006.

1. dob23

dob23 New Member

Here's our post on JournalismJobs.com. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Company: Quincy Herald-Whig
    Position: Seeking copy editor/designer for sports role
    on universal desk
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: December 6, 2006
    Job ID: 698554

Description:
    The Quincy Herald-Whig, a 26,000-circulation daily newspaper in West-Central Illinois, is seeking a copy editor/page designer for our universal desk whose primary responsibility would be sports. The editor also will have some news page assignments. We’re looking for someone with energy who enjoys the challenge of taking a role in all operations on the copy desk. Good editing and headline writing skills are a must. Experience in Quark XPress is recommended. The Herald-Whig is an M-F afternoon, Sa-Su AM daily. The Herald-Whig is located in Quincy, Ill., a Mississippi River town about two hours north of St. Louis. It is a family-owned newspaper, offers profit sharing, 401K, a flex plan, health, dental, life and disability. The Herald-Whig is an equal opportunity employer. Send a cover letter, resume and clips to: Gerri Berendzen, copy desk chief, Quincy Herald-Whig, 130 S. Fifth, Quincy, Ill. 62301; Fax (217) 221-3395; or call (217) 223 -5100.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

People who drive backhoes into a wall of sandbags in order to trap their spouses on the other side of a flooded river need not apply.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Shit.
    Guess I'm out.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Can I still get the job if I don't support Whig Party policies?

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I can vouch for the paper. Great staff, great prep coverage.

6. Ditto. Quincy is a great high school sports town. But it is in the middle of nowhere.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Eschew the Whigs at your own peril. The Whig party will rule the 'teens ... the eighteen 'teens, that is.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fuck that. And I'm tired of people blaming James Polk for the failures of Zachary Taylor and Millard Fillmore. So what if Polk got a blow job from a chambermaid?

9. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Quincy is actually not a bad little town. It's right on the river, and there's plenty of character to the city. There also happen to be a bevy of neighborhood watering holes, which I am a big fan of. QND, the catholic high school there, has an O-lineman going D-I, so there is some talent in this neck of the woods. As for women, er, I didn't see much to look at.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

And any chance to work with dob23, you've got to take it.

11. dob23

dob23 New Member

Wanted to bump this up because we're still looking to fill this position.

If interested, feel free to PM me.

Draft saved Draft deleted