1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor/page designer, St. Joseph, Mo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HandsomeHarley, Aug 15, 2010.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=671944

I would be interested in knowing what this job pays for someone with 11 years experience, most as a sports editor at smaller dailies, along with numerous state (and one national) award in every conceivable sports category and two non-sports categories.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We're told here at the main office that they're looking for new grads or earlier-in-career people with design experience, and the pay is in the 25-30 range. Still accepting applications.

My guess is someone with the experience you describe above would be most welcome but also overqualified at least in terms of pay. I don't know the area so I don't know how that pay fits.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I have a problem with this "over qualified" stigma. Suppose Handsome is moving to the area. It's the only paper in town. He needs the job. Wouldn't it be prudent to let Handsome decide what he can and can't handle salary wise? And if the salary is no problem, one would think that the company should thank its lucky stars that someone with as much talent was available.

4. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Thumbs up.

5. Moderator1

Did you overlook the "most welcome" part before you climbed on your usual soapbox? The point was someone with the credentials Harley described is probably doing much better than the pay range, which is much closer to entry level. If Harley wants it, great, they'd probably send a limo.

"Most welcome" Drip. It means they'd be happy to have him.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don't take it personal, Moddy. The soap box can be slippery.
    I was just making a point that I think speaks for many grizzled vets out here. And it doesn't apply to journalism jobs, it applies to any gig. When someone applies for a job, there are many factors involved. It might by locale. It might be experience. It might a change of pace. Every situation is different.

7. Moderator1

I'm not taking it personally - I'm just amazed at your lack of comprehension. I'm well aware every situation is different. The general point - this is an entry level job. If someone with the experience Harley described wants it, so be it.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

FWIT, I never even received a phone call.

From what I am told, it pays at least $3-5g more than I'm making now.

I also understand the new SE may be a young guy. It could be that he's afraid I would be after his job. I most certainly would NOT.

Assistant SE at a larger paper or SE at a small daily. That fits me best.

I want to move 45-90 minutes from Kansas City and never move again. Guess it isn't happening in St. Joseph.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Henry, that's a gripe that is shared by many. There is no absolute science to hiring personnel. To know that you are qualified for a job and not given a chance to compete is a bummer. Hang in there.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I hear this job's been filled.

Draft saved Draft deleted