1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports copy editor -- Omaha World-Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Aug 7, 2017.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Who needs pro sports?

The Omaha World-Herald covers a perennial college football power and its rabid fanbase, three Division I basketball programs, the College World Series, a Triple-A team and dozens of college and high school programs from across the region. There is also a steady diet of Olympic Trials, national championships
    and golf tournaments to fill the calendar at a place where sports is practically front-page news on a daily basis.

We’re always trying to expand our reach and coverage. And now we are looking for help.

The World-Herald has an opening for a versatile copy editor who can handle multiple roles within our award-winning sports department. This experienced editor must also work on layout and design — not just for a page, but for an entire section. This is for someone who can take our daily budget, fuse that
    with national news and set our lineup for the morning paper. News judgement, a strong editing background and knowledge of InDesign are key.

We are flexible, too. While the key duties are in line with that of a copy editor, we value other skills and interests. Intrigued by the idea of brainstorming new projects with our online team? Think you have a knack for crafting Twitter posts that our readers won’t be able to ignore? You’ll fit right in.

Deadline to apply: Sept. 1. Email Assistant Sports Editor Kristin Donovan at kristin.donovan@owh.com. Include cover letter, resume and work samples (editing, headline writing, etc.) Please put "Job candidate" in the subject line.

Why you should come to Omaha: The Omaha World-Herald is the flagship paper of BH (Berkshire Hathaway) Media Group. Omaha -- Nebraska's largest city -- has a population of more than 415,000 and frequently shows up on "best places to live" lists. The city boasts a strong economy and low cost of living, thriving music scene, restaurants galore, award-winning schools, and a nationally renowned zoo.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports copy editor

2. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I was actually surprised to see their circulation numbers were higher than Cincinnati's. I don't think of Omaha as bigger than Cincinnati but I digress. Interesting they have two spots open at the same time.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Papers in rural states have largely managed to fare better in circulation losses than in heavily urban areas.

4. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted