1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports copy editor, Observer Dispatch, Utica N.Y.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BlueJacket99, Mar 23, 2007.

1. BlueJacket99

BlueJacket99 New Member

From the Gannett site:

Description
    The Observer-Dispatch in Utica, N.Y., is looking for a sports copy editor for its information center. The person in this position will edit stories, design and paginate pages and post information on the O-D's Web site, uticaOD.com. The job also involves occasional writing assignments and will involve editing and shooting video for the Web site.

The newspaper places a premium on local prep sports coverage and coverage of local colleges including Utica College, Hamilton College, SUNYIT and Colgate University in addition to two community colleges.

The Observer-Dispatch, A Gannett publication, is located in the heart of central New York state. It is a short drive from the Adirondacks and winter sports venues and is an easy trip to most major Northeast cities.

Requirements
    At least a year's experience preferred with a track record of improving publications and exhibiting increasing responsibility. Qualified candidates will need to be able to paginate pages on a Quark-based system and have a mastery of AP Style. The job does require rigorous attention to deadlines and demands an ability to multi-task.

2. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Ahhh Gannett. It's no longer a newsroom, but an "information center."

Anyone with comments on this paper/gig?

3. Jeff_Albertson

Jeff_Albertson New Member

Small, depressed area in Upstate N.Y., but a great department in which to work. The staff is hardworking, pretty close-knit and seems to care about the paper a lot. SE is very good; been there quite a while. It's a good place to get your feet wet. Pay isn't wonderful, but it's a good starting job. Much of the staff stays put, and there's not as much turnover as you'd expect at a paper this size.
    As far as coverage, lots of college (Colgate, Hamilton College, a number of CCs, Syracuse), high schools. Cooperstown is close by, too, so HOF gets a lot of attention. You could do a lot worse. PM me for more.

4. I grew up near Utica (near, not in ... thank Christ) and have to say that it's one of the shittiest, most economically-depressed places I've been in my life (and I worked in rural North Carolina for four years). I didn't work at the O-D, so I can't say anything about this job or the working environment -- it may very well be top notch. But if you're in the prime of your career, I'd stay far, far away from Utica, N.Y.

Draft saved Draft deleted